× Members

Help - DLA renewal form.

More
3 years 4 months ago #253554 by NicNac
Help - DLA renewal form. was created by NicNac
Hi,

My son age 14 has a long term health condition and has been in receipt of DLA at lower for mobility and middle rate for care. My child’s condition is very similar to Down’s syndrome: it is incurable and lifelong but he has improved recently with some elements, partly due to him maturing and partly due to a lot of hard work by me, and school. He has an ehcp with 30 hours of 1:1 help per week on it.

I’ve just received the envelope saying his current award and it says I have to fill out the whole form again.

1) isn’t there a shorter renewal form like with pip?
2) do they compare the new claim to the old one? In some areas he has worsened, but in others dramatically improved since the last claim. Are you expected to tell them every time he finally manages to do something eg climb stairs that other children managed ten years ago? I’m worried they will ask me why I didn’t tell them before that he has learnt to climb stairs safely now,

Thank you in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #253556 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Help - DLA renewal form.
Hi NicNac

Unfortunately I am not aware of a shorten form for DLA, did you keep a copy of your previous form? If you did then use that as a template. We advise anyone who completes any form to keep a copy for a number of reasons such as in your case to use as a template, also DWP do loose documents/forms, it has happened to me on a few occasions, but I always keep copies and am able to print off new copies to send to DWP.

I don't know how long your previous award was for but as you state in your post your son's condition has changed since you last applied. DWP want to know how your son is now, you need to explain what your son cannot do or why he needs help to carry out certain functions.

Remember the DWP does not know your son, so you have to paint a picture in words explaining your sons condition(s), how they affect him. what help he requires and any aids and adaptions he uses.

Have a look at our Child DLA Claim guide to see if he meets the criteria for an award.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaclaims

Send in as much supporting documents as you can. Those who help you, get supporting documents from them stating what help they give and why.

If you have any further questions then please come back to the forum and we will try and help.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.