× Members

Re Oppositional Defiant Disorder

More
3 years 1 month ago #256803 by M Sare
Re Oppositional Defiant Disorder was created by M Sare
Does anyone have experience of ODD being awarded PIP? moving from DLA to PIP and ben awarded 0 points so looking for help with appealing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #256825 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Re Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Hello M Sare,

I have only had expereince of applying for DLA for someone with ODD, but thinking of that person I would expect them to qualify for PIP when they are old enough.

Please don't see being awarded 0 points as being anything more than a hurdle, it is not a final answer. I have long ago lost count of the number of people I have worked with who submitted really solid PA4 forms were initially awarded 0 points but were finally awarded enhanced awards.

If you have not already done I would urge you to study our Guides, including the ones on MR and Appeals. Particularly with a condition such as ODD you might find it helpful to keep a diary - again see the link below - which you can include as additional evidence.

PIP Guides

Please do come back to us if you have any more questions
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #256857 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Hi M Sare

I have to agree with Catherine, I have helped many claimants who were initially awarded zero points and then get awarded standard or enhanced components, although the road can be long especially if it has to go to appeal.

The first thing you have to do is contact DWP and ask for a copy of the assessors report called a PA4.

PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities. Have a look at our PIP Claim guide for a better understanding of the criteria you will need to meet.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Read about the reliability element in the guide - if you cannot do something,
Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
To a necessary and acceptable standard – given the nature of the activity.
Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as a person without a physical or mental health condition would take to carry out the activity.

then you should not be considered able to do the activity.

If you have any further questions, then please return to the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Gary.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.