× Members

Refused PIP

More
2 years 11 months ago #259076 by JollyRoger77
Refused PIP was created by JollyRoger77
Hi
My husband was diagnosed with Autism he was advised to claim PIP. He filled out the form using the B&W He sent off the forms off with his diagnosis he also has Anxiety which he is medicated for as well as diabetes which hasn’t been controlled well as he forgets to test his blood sugars I have to remind him to test himself . The assessor rang him then he received the outcome that he is not eligible for PIP so he asked for a mandatory reconsideration they responded by saying that he can do this and that he hardly scored any points . I’ve told him to take it further but he says he can’t it’s too much for him . I’m not at all happy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #259117 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Refused PIP
Hello Jolly Roger77,

And I am not happy with you. It does make me so cross when people do not get the correct awards. Unfortunately Autism is one of the harder conditions for which it is possible to successfully win PIP awards. I understand your husband's reaction, but if I was supporting him I would urge him to fight on. I have lost count of the number appeals I have helped people to win who started off with 0 points and went on to get the correct awards. Remember something like 80% of PIP appeals result in an increased award.

Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LL26

More
2 years 11 months ago #259141 by Susie27
Replied by Susie27 on topic Refused PIP
Hi JollyRoger77,

I really wanted to take a moment to share my experience in the hope it might help:

My brother went through the same awful situation your husband is now in. Rob does not live with autism - but with a personality disorder, similarly misunderstood by his assessor. The assessor, who was a physiotherapist (?!!) focused pretty much most of the report on my brother's physical capabilities, obviously because the said assessor stuck to what HE understood and did not even try to understand how BPD massively impacts daily life.

Like your husband, my brother felt too overwhelmed and exhausted (at first) to even consider a MR so me and other family members prepared it for him. It was still turned down but....when he went to Tribunal he received Enhanced Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility. For five years!

If you can bear it, then I eally encourage you to start the challenge process. It is really, really worth it.

Pulling for you. Susie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catherine, Gary, LL26

More
2 years 11 months ago #259169 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Refused PIP
Hi JollyRoger77, like the other replies I agree your husband [and therefore you as his wife] have been badly wronged. Likewise I would encourage him to consider going onward. Maybe as a Person with Autism the statistics will be useful for him. The exact percentages are in recent posts from the moderators, but in broad terms only one in six people get the denial overturned at MR. So the result he got so far is to be expected. However about four out of five people are successful at Tribunal and this is why it is worth going on. Also several members recently have had DWP 'settle out of court' with a phone call making an award offer before the Tribunal hearing. This is obviously less stressful, if you are fortunate enough to have this happen.
If you do not have any other help, consider approaching Kester; a campaigning no-win no fee service
disabilityrights.org.uk/
which I first heard of when another B&W member got an excellent result with their help.
Best wishes and "do not let the b's grind you down" from the wife of an Asperger's Person,
Denby

More
2 years 11 months ago #259186 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Refused PIP
Hi denby

I think the phrase you are thinking is: Noli permittere ut pravi te submittant, there is a famous "pseudo" Latin translation around, from a Latin translation joke which was quite popular some decade ago, something like "Illegittimi non carborundum" but I have to agree with you, do not give up.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.