× Members

PIP Appeal tribunal

More
2 years 11 months ago #259155 by Kate Smith
PIP Appeal tribunal was created by Kate Smith
Next week my adult son has a PIP tribunal to appeal against his failed assessment in Aug 2019. It has taken this long for it to be set up and We still have had no instructions regarding the procedure. We have requested a video link rather than a phone meeting.
I am acting as his representative and will phone the Courts and Justice department ( again) this morning.
Can anyone give me any advice about how these type of appeals operate. What is the best way of conducting our case? Will his mental health support worker be able to contribute to meeting?
Feeling very stressed and apprehensive about the whole thing. The system has been so inept.
Kate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #259159 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Appeal tribunal
Hi Kate

You can read about the sort of questions you may be asked at the Tribunal in our Guide to PIP Appeals www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip .

I hope that you have received a set of papers that the DWP have prepared. You should have received them by now.

If your son's support worker can be with you at the time of the tribunal, the Judge should let them speak.

Read through the guide. Be very clear about what you want to say. Make a bullet-pointed list. If you don't understand something the judge or the panel asks - asks them to repeat it - don't try and answer something you're not sure of. The judge should make it clear what is going to happen throughout the whole process.

Have plenty of water - and if you need to stop for a drink - just say so.

Hope you and your son have a positive outcome.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 11 months ago #259197 by Kate Smith
Replied by Kate Smith on topic PIP Appeal tribunal
Thank you for your response and advice. Will certainly do as you suggest. I
I have a lot prepared and will certainly fight my son’s corner, it’s just that the whole point based format is not designed to apply to people with mental health disabilities and the descriptors are predominately applicable to physical impairments.
We shall see...
Kate

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.