× Members

Feeling extremepy anxious - do I have a chance?

More
2 years 11 months ago #259205 by PotterO
Hi, I suffer with anxiety and depression. I have lived increasingly reclusive over the past 5 years. I haven't been able to hold a job, I worked for family friend's businesses but wasn't able to last longer than a week at two jobs I tried due to feeling depressed. I get very anxious pretty much daily and have become more anxious and stressed ever since earlier this year I gained the courage to begin seeking financial help from UC and mental health from my GP. I have now been given an assessment for disability form which I need to complete as soon as possible.

In 2019 I did briefly work as a freelancer online, however it would bring me a lot of anxiety and stress which caused me to stop doing it. I didn't earn more than a few thousand and couldn't continue doing it as I became depressed.

I started receiving medication earlier this year however it has not helped me yet and I am now on my second increase in dosage over the last few months. I am not doing well mentally and have periods, usually when a phone appointment with my work coach or a doctor's appointment is coming up, where I feel extremely anxious and can't stop thinking about it and pacing around. My adrenaline gets pumping which causes me to have high blood pressure in moments when I'm expecting a phone call for example which I didn't realise until recently is temporary high blood pressure which is damaging.

I have been given a few fit notes over the last months. I dropped out of college and have been more and more reclusive as time has gone on and my anxiety has increased big time which makes interacting with people very hard. However, I do not have any medical evidence since I only began receiving help this year. I have not seen a therapist yet as I can't bring myself to do it. I was hoping medication would help relieve me and help to proceed with talking to a therapist but it hasn't yet. There are no contacts that I could provide as I haven't told anyone I know except for my work coach and doctors that I suffer so bad mentally. I haven't spoken to friends in years and I have a strained relationship with my family who provide for me.

I have an assessment for disability form that need to fill in. I have put it off for weeks because ot brings me a ton of anxiety, however I received another letter today stating that they haven't received it yet and that I need to send it off within around 1 week. So I have to push through this and get it done as soon as possible.

Since I have no medical evidence, how should I proceed? Should I go into great detail about how I feel and how it prevents me from being able to work currently? I want to be able to work once I feel better, I hope this year or next year once I've gotten enough mental help. If I'm denied I'm afraid that I'll quit claiming and will fall back into not getting any help and delay my recovery.

Appreciate any advice coming my way. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #259207 by BIS
Hi PotterO

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm sorry that you're having such a bad time. A lot of claimants have limited medical evidence, but that is what happens if someone has been unable to access services because they are too unwell to do so. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't claim. It just means it can be challenging. However, you have had contact with your GP who has been supporting you and the DWP can contact them if they want more information. Be aware this does not happen automatically. It always helps if you can get a letter from your GP and send it with your form, but many aren't willing to do so and say they will wait until the DWP contacts them.

We have a comprehensive guide telling you how to fill in the form. Work through it. There are examples on how to answer the questions. My advice is don't assume that the reader will understand. You have to tell them. Concentrate on the difficulties you have now against the criteria in each question.

Have a look at the guide, and if you have specific questions come back and ask.

BIS

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 11 months ago #259213 by denby
Dear PotterO, just want to add my encouragement to all that BIS has said. I deal with our daughter's claim as it makes her upset filling in the forms herself. I have found that offering to pay for the GP's letter when I request one is helpful. You might be looking at around £40. If this is the key step to getting a benefit worth many times that, it is a good investment. Hopefully if you have to ask your family for the cost of a letter, despite the strained relationship, you can get them to understand that if you get PIP you will not need nearly so much cash from them. Also, if having a telephone assessment would really make you unwell as you suggest with your blood pressure, ask if the GP will include in their letter, that having a telephone or face to face assessment would cause you "Overwhelming Psychological Distress" and the dangerous blood pressure issue too. Overwhelming Psychological Distress is a kind of standard phrase which is most likely though nothing is guaranteed, to make the DWP agree to doing a paper-based Assessment. This means they work on what you have put in the form and what your GP says in their letter instead of phoning/seeing you.
It's also worth knowing, as you are struggling with yourself to fill in the form in the time, that you can write in it a note saying that you may/will send further evidence. So you can send the GP letter on after. Just be sure every single thing has your name and National Insurance number written on the top, keep a copy of everything, and anything you post, use a signed-for service.
It's all in the Guide on here, just wanted to remind you of key things.
Very best wishes, Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 11 months ago #259224 by LL26
Hi PotterO,
As others have said you can get a letter from your GP, or you could ask for a copy if your GP notes, which shouldn't cost anything. You will normally be asked to send in a prescription sheet, or write everything in. The medicines you take should also confirm your health problems.
However my suggestion is this:
There is usually a sheet for additional information, or you can just add a page, and put 'See additional page' in an obvious place at the back of the form. Make sure you have your name and NI number on all extra pages. Copy what you have sent to everyone on this forum, apart from the opening 'Hi' and last two paragraphs, and closing sentence . (Delete everything after ...my family who provide for me.' ) Also delete this sentence in the 4th paragraph.
"However, I do not have any medical evidence since "
But leave in "I only began receiving help this year."
What you have written is passionate and describes your situation very clearly and I have included similar statements to DWP which have worked well, and given positive results.
Worth a try?
Good luck.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.