× Members

Vibration Plate an aid?

More
2 years 9 months ago #260716 by phrank
Vibration Plate an aid? was created by phrank
Hi all,

Today I shelled out for a vibration plate as s last resort buy hoping this may help with the arthritic pain in my lower limbs.

I suppose the answer is no nut I might as well ask; could this be classed as an aid?

It was only I'd got it home that this question occurred to me.

Thanks,

Phrank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #260728 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Vibration Plate an aid?
Hi Phrank
An aid is something that replaces or improves function. So a walking stick improves balance, adapted cutlery makes cutting food easier etc etc.
You can improvise. So for example a bathroom shelf could serve as a grab rail. A garden chair could be a shower seat.
I'm not sure what loss of function you would be assisting or improving. (But there could be one!)
Possibly if you needed help to use it and you could get your GP or a physio etc to say it would help, then you might argue that it could comprise therapy fit which you need assistance under 3(i)b. Otherwise I don't think you will score points. However if the device eases pain snd helps you then its worth is much greater than any amount of PIP points!
Good luck with it.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 9 months ago #260729 by phrank
Replied by phrank on topic Vibration Plate an aid?
Hi LL26,

Thanks for your reply

Just as I thought. I wasn't expecting to or tryng to score points it is, hopefully, going to help with my arthtritis and improve mobility.

Anyway we'll see if it helps if not my arthritis won't be any better but it will help with fitness.

Regards,

Phrank.

More
2 years 9 months ago #260738 by MrFibro
Replied by MrFibro on topic Vibration Plate an aid?
Hi LL26

I use an electric raising seat. It sits on top of say a lounge living room chair, and when i press it, it tilts me up out of the chair so i can get off and stand without causing more unnecessary pain.

And the same with sitting, i press the hand held button and it lowers me onto the chair.

Its basically a bit like a reclining /tilting 2 motor chair, but hell of a lot cheaper.

Is it worth mentioning this for my coming PIP review?

As I think it maybe helpful with Activity 12 moving around, as it aids me to get up to stand before i can move around. right?

Regards.

More
2 years 9 months ago #260751 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Vibration Plate an aid?
Hello Mrfibrospondodysthmatic,

What you are talking about certainly falls into the category of an 'aid'. The next question is do you need to use that aid when completing any of the PIP tasks. You are obviously the best person to answer that one, but my first thoughts is that getting to a standing position is a factor in the final activity 'moving around'. There is at least one descriptor which requires you to be able to do the actions unaided.

I think the other activities are probably a bit more of a stretch, but for things like using the toilet - if you need that aid to get up from a chair, do you also need an aid to get up off the toilet?

Hope this helps your thinking,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFibro, LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.