× Members

pip re-assessed

More
2 years 8 months ago #261845 by Owen
pip re-assessed was created by Owen
got a dwp letter saying they'd had check my 2016/2017 pip and it was correct. But they looked at Activity 11 – planning and following journeys . I only got 4 points for the mobility section anyway so why did they look at that again ? I got 11 points for " daily living" if i'd got 12 points i'd qualify for the enghanced pip so The one they should had looked at was the ‘Engaging with other people face to face’ activity where I only got 2 points , if they look at that decision again I should get 4 point s as my "engaging with people and need for prompting" came from a my adult mental health keyworker . We will appeal to have the mandatory reconsideration , any advice welcome thanks .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #261878 by Owen
Replied by Owen on topic pip re-assessed
Idont understand, on workandbenefits its says that

"A recent Supreme Court judgement in connection with the ‘Engaging with other people face
to face’ activity could mean potentially thousands more people are eligible for the daily
living component of PIP or should be getting it at a higher rate" .Amongst those who may have missed out are:
people who regularly get support from a mental health professional;
people who need the input of particular friends or relatives with experience of supporting
them in social situations, to enable them manage face to face encounters.
The descriptors involved
The judgement involves two descriptors in particular:
b. Needs prompting to be able to engage with other people. 2 points.
c. Needs social support to be able to engage with other people. 4 points.
The legal definition of social support is “support from a person trained or experienced in
assisting people to engage in social situations.”
This can be a mental health professional, such as a CPN, for example."

I scored 2 for this but as I would be prompted and supported by my mental health key-worker shouldn't I have scored 4 ?

It goes on :
When ‘prompting’ can score 4 points instead of 2
Prompting means ‘reminding, encouraging or explaining by another person’.

If the support a claimant needs consisted just of prompting, then the DWP have always
argued it was only worth 2 points, regardless of who gave it.
However, it has now been decided by the Supreme Court that where the prompting needs
to be given by someone ‘trained or experienced in assisting people to engage in social
situations’, then it may count as social support and score 4 points.
So, if the prompting could come from any well-meaning friend or relative and it would be
just as effective, then you would only score two points.
But if the prompting would only be effective if it came from someone ‘trained or
experienced’, such as a trusted and experienced friend or relative, then it is now likely to
score four points."

you say that the supreme court made a ruling on that question 9. Engaging with other people face to face. ? so why have the dwp not looked at Q9 aswell as Q11 ?
one more point would have got my pip to the enhanced level.
very confused .

More
2 years 8 months ago #261884 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic pip re-assessed
Hi Owen

Sorry - I confused you. Yes, I deleted my answer because it was the wrong one. You can ask them to look at it again and say they didn't address the other question from the Supreme Court ruling.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: freeallbadgers

More
2 years 8 months ago #261937 by Owen
Replied by Owen on topic pip re-assessed
Hi BIS,
thanks for replying and the explanation; Owen panicked a little after reading your initial answer !
Managed to explain it to him and he's ok now.
We'll do as you suggest.
cheers
Karen

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.