× Members

ESA & Private Pension

More
2 years 7 months ago #263805 by sirjames
ESA & Private Pension was created by sirjames
Having read the old posts on this I'm unable to resolve an issue.

I've applied for my pension, due Dec 2021. This is £82.15 wk. I chose the pension payment without lump sum as it came under the £85.00 wk which I researched as eligible to be disregarded. My last DWP Benefits statement refers to 'total Income Related' amounts.

However, I have now had my ESA reduced, to account for this, and had a bill to pay council tax and rent, (as a change of circumstances) which I previously received as a benefit. I did not know of any difference between Income Related (IR) and Contributory (CB) before reading some posts. These extra demands put a unexpected burden on my finances.

On having my carer speak to DWP, I'm deaf, with 3 days left to the 'contact' limit, I'm informed that I have been changed over from IR to CB some 4 months before my state pension age. So, should I not have the private pension disregarded? I understand ESA will finish at State Pension Age anyway, but what, if any (IR or CB) will I still / become be liable for Council Tax & Rent?

I don't know if Appealing will do any good, and if it is / can be, changed, will render me worse of after state pension age.?

I hope someone can help, email / web is the only way I can communicate and DWP will not take email. thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #263818 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA & Private Pension
Hi sirjames

Unless you are in receipt of CB ESA then any pension received will affect your IR ESA.

If you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA then a lump sum will not affect your ESA but a regular payment will. If the pension is more then £85/week then there will be a £1/week deduction for every £2 in excess of the £85.

If you are receiving any Income Related ESA, either in part or in whole, then it will affect your ESA.

You need to see a Welfare Rights Organisation in your area to get accurate advice, unfortunately we cannot give specific individual advice as we do not have all the facts.

You can find your local Welfare Rights Organisation to help you with advice by clicking on the link below and putting in your post code, it will then come up with a MAP with a list of agencies. advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 7 months ago #263863 by denby
Replied by denby on topic ESA & Private Pension
Dear MODS, Maybe one for the Backroom Stars? has anyone tried challenging DWP about Disability Discrimination when they make contact so difficult for Deaf people like our friend sirjames? Surely they should offer some appropriate facility for communication??? Is there any case law on this people could use???
No one should be forced to have a carer
a] spend time they may be paying for hanging on DWP understaffed phone lines instead of doing their necessary caring tasks and
b] have them giving messages involving personal information.

Disgusting.
Denby

More
2 years 7 months ago #263872 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA & Private Pension
Hi Denby

DWP do offer a service to claimants who are deaf and blind; www.gov.uk/disability-benefits-helpline

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Telephone: 0800 121 4433
Textphone: 0800 121 4493
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4433
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

There’s a different number if you want to make a claim for PIP.
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service
To use the Personal Independence Payment video relay service you must:

first check you can use the service
go to the video relay service
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

The video relay service uses a free plugin. You may need to change the security settings on your device to install this.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
2 years 6 months ago #263918 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic ESA & Private Pension
Hi denby, The EHRC take on Disability Discrimination cases. Saying that however the Govt has STILL not applied the Equality Act (2010) to all it’s departments…. Despite the ‘Public Sector Duty’ part of it, and the fact that it passed through Parliament over ten years ago….. Anyone receiving Public Funds SHOULD adhere…. Which SHOULD include ATOS etc as they are funded from the Public Purse… disgusting & disgraceful…. No idea why the EHRC haven’t challenged this… I have written to them to ask but they say they ‘decide by committee’ which things they are going to pursue…WTAF
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Gary

More
2 years 5 months ago #265697 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic ESA & Private Pension
Hi… Have just been rereading your initial post. I think ‘historically’ your ESA was a combination of CB and IR. Your CB was in effect ‘topped up’ with IR so that you could get your premiums (disability income guarantee); ESA IR gives automatic entitlement to HB and C.Tax. I deduce that your (private) pension payments have ‘replaced’ this IR bit of your ESA.

I would put in ‘new’ claims for HB and C.Tax (*to be backdated to when your ESA amount changed) and see how you go. Explain clearly that you were not given the full facts of your case by the DWP, and that you believe this lack of communication from them is covered under the Equality Act as you are d/Deaf, and presumably you would have been given a courtesy phone-call otherwise to explain things.

Your council will have an Equal Opps Policy that they must adhere to, and hopefully someone there will have the decency to work ‘it all’ out and state clearly what you (if anything) are expected to pay towards your rent and council tax.
When you start to get your State Pension, this info (from the council re: HB and C.Tax) will help with any Pension Credit claims.
Also, if you were getting any SDP as part of your ESA IR claim, then this ‘benefit’ should be ‘passed on’ to your HB claim.
A muddle but resolvable and you may as well get it all sorted now. Good Luck!

*People of ‘mixed’ ESA Heritage are frequently discriminated against*
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHud, LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.