× Members

Any additional income for father's with shared res

More
2 years 5 months ago #265591 by 1048claire
My son is divorced. He and his ex have two daughters age 15 and 12. His ex gets all the child benefit and child tax credits, and has done since they parted in 2012. They have (and always have done) shared responsibility of the girls - 1 week with their Mum, and 1 week with my son (their Dad).
He is unable to work due to a serious back condition, so relies on P.I.P. and Universal Credits.
When the girls are with him, he pays for everything for them - food / clothes / entertainment etc.
He is struggling to cope with all these costs, especially now the government has stopped the additional £20.
Is there anything additional he can claim to help with the costs while the girls are with him?
He doesn't want to ask their mother for any of the benefits she gets, as she says she struggles to make ends meet herself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265602 by Gary
Hi 1048claire

Your question is outside the remit of the forum.

As a rule of thumb who ever get the child benefit can claim for the child(ren), has your son claimed LCWRA?

Your son may want to contact a local Welfare Rights Organisation who can take all his circumstances into consideration; he can find his local Welfare Rights Organisation to help him with advice by clicking on the link below and putting in his post code, it will then come up with a MAP with a list of agencies. advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 5 months ago #265983 by 1048claire
Thanks Gary.
I'll pass it onto my son so that he can look into it.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.