× Members

Legacy Benefits - Address change same borough

More
2 years 5 months ago #265718 by Ella50
Hi, I have recently been offered a housing association flat within the same borough of London that I have lived for 10 years. I am in receipt of legacy benefit income-related ESA, SDP and PIP. Because I am still within the same borough and it just means my housing benefit details get changed by the council, does this mean I won't be forced onto UC? I was under the impression that it would only become UC if I moved OUTSIDE the borough but I would like to double check please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265734 by LL26
Hi Ella50,
If you stay within the same Borough, then you won't have to claim UC, and you can stay on legacy benefits. You could choose to claim UC instead. However, there's an old saying - 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it!' There are online benefits calculators you could use, if you want to check.
Make sure you tell your Housing Benefit Office at the Borough in good time to avoid any gap in payments. You will also need to inform DWP - both ESA and PIP.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 5 months ago #265747 by Angel
Hi Ella. Don’t move to UC. Wait to be forced.
Hope your house move goes well x
If you can afford it, pay for a deep clean/ any decorating. Expensive but worth it. Your area may have some charities that can help..’Care & Repair’ and some-such.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.