× Members

PIP Award Review Arrived Early Need Help

More
2 years 5 months ago #265757 by Kikkoman
Hello

I basically received my PIP Award Review form in the post today, and they've given me until the 2nd of December to complete and return it. I'm going to have to request an extension but will need longer than two weeks due to health issues.

It will also be the first time I have completed the form myself, and I am nervous about this as I've always had support and still feel I do need support completing the form. I would in the past get support, but I am no longer under the care of the community mental health team so I don't have access to their service that helps with this.

Does anyone have personal experience/success with using fightback4justice? I've heard for a premium they can fill in the forms and offer support over the telephone etc. A friend recommended them to me, but I am not sure if they're any good or not. They're a registered community interest company and appear to have been on ITV at one time.

My key question is can I request and receive a copy of every previous PIP form I have sent the DWP, and the associating evidence submitted and where I scored points and how that decision was reached? I thought it would be helpful in helping me complete my form.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265758 by greekqueen
Replied by greekqueen on topic PIP Award Review Arrived Early Need Help
Hi Kikoman, yes you should request an extension, you may be given 4 weeks as you did not receive the form with 4 weeks to fill it in. And yes you can request previous forms and any related paperwork like the health care professional's reports.

If you are in social housing there is usually a person there who's role it is to help with benefit form filling.
You can also use the guides on this site for help. And there are a few good mental health sites that help with mental health benefit form filling.

I don't think it's a great idea to pay when there is so much free assistance out there, but if you wish to do that it's up to you.

Good luck

greekqueen

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kikkoman

More
2 years 5 months ago #265766 by Kikkoman
Replied by Kikkoman on topic PIP Award Review Arrived Early Need Help
Thanks :) Can you tell me what I need to say to PIP/DWP regarding requesting a copy of any prior claim forms I have completed and what points were scored, and how the assessor came to their decision when they awarded points for each question? I'd also like them to send me a copy of ALL the evidence I have sent them for prior PIP claims as unfortunately due to flooding I lost my documentation. Is this possible, can they literally send me a copy of absolutely everything?

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #265767 by BIS
Hi Kikkoman

In order to get a copy of your from the DWP, you can put in a 'right of access' request. How far back the records go - I'm not sure. Once you have put in your request they are supposed to send everything they hold on you - providing you make it clear that's what you want and give them dates. They say it will take a month for you to receive them. You can find the details from the government website: www.gov.uk/guidance/request-your-persona...or-work-and-pensions

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by BIS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kikkoman

More
2 years 5 months ago #265776 by Kikkoman
Replied by Kikkoman on topic PIP Award Review Arrived Early Need Help
I've got a further question regarding extensions, and how best to handle them. I didn't receive the form from the DWP until Saturday the 13th, but the letter is dated the 5th of November. Therefore, I wasn't given four weeks to complete the form, and it seems unfair in a way because although I can request a four-week extension I am presuming I would get less time? For example, if I had hypothetically received this form on the 5th I will of had four weeks to complete the form, if they requested it to be returned by the 5th of December. However, if I also requested a four-week extension, say a week or so after receiving the form, would that mean I would have had until the 5th of January? In this sense, it doesn't seem fair, because it seems I am having to use the four week extension to make up for the lost time as a result of the DWP getting the form out to me late, and only having two weeks to complete it, so even with a four week extension I would have a total of six weeks vs eight weeks if that makes sense, unless I am misunderstanding how extensions work.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265779 by BIS
Hi Kikkoman

I wouldn't stress yourself out over this - because you already have the stress of completing the form. Ask for an extension - this will be granted automatically. You can talk to the person over the phone saying you got less time - but that person is a call handler and can only grant you extra time - not debate it. Many people have been granted second extensions if they hadn't been able to meet the first one. Just keep in touch with them if you're struggling to complete the form to any of the deadlines stated. You can always put in a separate complaint if you think you're being treated unfairly.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.