× Members

Comunication Activity Question

More
2 years 5 months ago #265762 by Waxwing
Comunication Activity Question was created by Waxwing
Hello

I am helping my brother with his PIP Claim and I would like to know please he is a little concerned about claiming for the activity of communicating. He suffers with Social anxiety and has cognitive problems which resulted in him needing speech therapy and a child. He tries to avoid speaking with people he does not know and he only speaks with me or his parents on a daily basis. He understands that the PIP criteria means that he must not be able to an activity reliable for the majority of days in a week. Because he does not speak or communicate with anyone on a regular basis he thinks that this would not count towards him claiming for this activity.

I have advise him that because he does not do that activity often in the week does not mean you can do that activity reliable because when he does have to communicate with someone then he find that activity difficult so he cannot do it relaibly even though he does not do that activity for the majority of time in a week so he should claim for that activity.

My question is am I advising him correctly here.

Thank you in advance
Waxwing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265771 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Comunication Activity Question
Hi Waxwing

I would be saying the same as you and he should put it down. As is always the case it's up to the assessor to write their views on his difficulties with the evidence given to them. From what you have said he suffers from cognitive problems and communication difficulties 100% of the time. No, he doesn't see people all the time, but it is always a problem and you need to say whether the problems stop him from having contact with people. Then what are the difficulties when he does have contact? Would he have more contact if he had support? (He doesn't have to say that he wants it - he wouldn't even have to take it - just describe if it would make a difference).

When I help someone with PIP I fill in all the questions for them even when they're doubtful and claimants are often surprised to score where they didn't think they would.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waxwing

More
2 years 5 months ago #265790 by Waxwing
Replied by Waxwing on topic Comunication Activity Question
Thank you BISS you have been most helpful and I appreciate your assistance. He is a little paranoid about things. I will explain what you said and hopefully that will put his mind at rest.

Again thank you for your assistance.
Waxwing

More
2 years 5 months ago #265791 by Waxwing
Replied by Waxwing on topic Comunication Activity Question
Hello Bis

Appologies for spelling your name wrong in my last reply. I would like to ask one further question please. You said that you fill PIP forms out. I am doing this for my brother because he has problems with remembering and puting things down into words that best describe his problem.

I would like to know please would it be better for my to write the claim form out so that I am addressing my brother as the Third Person instead of filling it out as though he has done it. For example:-

I have problems communicating with people I do not know because.....

or

(Brothers Name) has problems with communication because.........

Am I allowed to fill out forms for someone without being there appointee. I did offer to be his appointee but he wanted to claim himself but he accepted my assistance with talking to people on the phone etc.

Thank you for your valuable information BIS it is most appreciated. I did not realise how stressfull it can be helping someone fill out a PIP form but I am more than happy to do it knowing I am helping out my Brother.

Waxwing
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
2 years 5 months ago #265795 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Comunication Activity Question
Hi Waxwing

Don't worry about the spelling of my name - it doesn't matter at all.

Yes, I fill in people's forms for them and I always use the third person - eg 'X has difficulty in cooking because of severe arthritis in their fingers.'

You don't have to be a person's appointee to fill in a claimant's form - you just need to make it clear that you have filled it in on their behalf. I usually attach a separate sheet saying I completed the form after having discussed it with the claimant and then both I and the claimant sign that sheet. (That's just something I do). Obviously, the claimant also signs the completed form.

The reason why I always write in the third person is because I think if you write in the first person, the assessors make judgements about the claimant's cognitive and mental abilities that are not necessarily true.

I have recently helped someone with a severe mental illness complete their form. Their current state of mind makes it very difficult for them to form their thoughts into any logical flow and yet it if had sent the form with words written in the first person, and still said that it had been written by me, I can almost guarantee that the assessor will ignore their difficulties and assume they are more capable than they currently are.

Having said all that, everyone should do what they are most comfortable with and there are plenty of people who fill in forms for others successfully using the first person.

And it is stressful helping people fill out forms, especially when it's a close relative and you just want to get it right for them. There's no magic formula - you can only do your best. Good luck with it.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Waxwing

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.