× Members

Jobcentre not responding to requests

More
2 years 5 months ago #265802 by John Taylor
Jobcentre not responding to requests was created by John Taylor
Hi,
My wife and I had to apply for Universal Credit in September because of a change in our circumstances. My wife ceased being a carer for our son and therefore we had to claim UC.

Previously, we had been receiving Income Support with disability premium and PiP. The PiP and disability premium were for me as I take fits and am on enhanced mobility component.

When we claimed, the process was relatively easy and the jobcentre worker said she would "switch off" job search and job related activities for me, given my disabilities. My wife would have to continue submitting "fit notes" as she has COPD. All seemed smooth enough until we received notification of the amount we were to be paid.

We were not given any allowances for my limited ability to work or limited ability to carry out work related activity. So I put a note in my UC journal asking them to look again at the payments we were gettng as I thought there should have been an allowance for the above circumstances.
I heard nothing - no reply, no letter - nothing. After a week, I rang the UC telephone number (which, I have learned is a company called RYSCAR and not even the DWP). The first time I rang, the operative seemed puzzled that I had not received a response and said he would email the Jobcentre to respond urgently. He said if I had not heard from them within 24 hours I should ring back.
I waited two days and rang RYSCAR back and a different operative told me that I can't "prompt" the DWP to look at my case but that I have to continue sending in "fit notes" until the job coach decides whether or not to send me for a "fitness for work assessment". She stressed three times that I cannot "prompt" the Jobcentre to speed it up.

Is that true? Surely not. I don't remember moving in time and space back to Soviet Russia and thought that all government agency decisions have a right to be reconsidered and/or appealed.

My wife even put a note, quoting me, on her UC journal asking if her job coach could help whilst at the same time putting her "fit note" in to them. All she got was a thankyou for the fit note with no reference to the other query she had.

Is there any other recourse I can take to get my case looked at again? They are just behaving as though I don't exist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265805 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Jobcentre not responding to requests
Hi John

You said that your wife ceased being a carer for your son, could she not have become a carer for you?

It is hard to give any advice as we do not have all the facts, I would advise you to seek help from a Welfare Rights Organisation whocan take all your circumstances into consideration; you can find your local Welfare Rights Organisation to help you with advice by clicking on the link below and putting in your post code, it will then come up with a MAP with a list of agencies. advicelocal.uk

You may want to get your MP involved to help push your case along, some MP's are more pro-active than others.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.