× Members

Esa

More
2 years 5 months ago #265828 by Caroline
Esa was created by Caroline
I hope you can help me. I receive 74.70 a week ESA paid every 2 weeks. These are interim payments. I haven't had a medical assessment by esa but have for pip which is under mandatory consideration as I disagree with the pyt. Will I get assessed by esa and pay these interim pyts back? My employer is about to dismiss me on capability grounds (medical) please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265839 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Esa
Hi Caroline

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You will not have to repay the interim payments back, when you apply for ESA you go into an assessment phase (13 weeks), quite often you have an assessment many weeks after end of the assessment phase. if you are successful then it will be backdated to end of the assessment phase. Have you completed a ESA 50?

There is a slight overlap between PIP and ESA but most descriptors are different, if you look in the members only guides you can find a spreadsheet showing the overlaps which was produced by Gordon.

You may want to speak to ACAS or a Trade Union if you belong to one, to get advice before you sign anything. ACAS contact number is : 0300 121 1100 Mon - Fri 8-8pm

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 4 months ago #265853 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic Esa
Hi Caroline. Obviously I don’t know your circumstances, but see if you can get ‘medically retired’. This is a formal process an employer must undertake (check your employment contract/ length of service). It will help considerably with any future benefit claims, and in accessing any previous and current pension schemes (including ADDING increments for medical retirement). Speak to HR/ Occupational Health/ your Trades Union about this. Also ACAS as suggested. It’s well worth putting the work in now, as it will help considerably further down the line. If done formally, the HMRC will be informed that you are ‘no longer eligible to work’. This will freeze any student loan repayments, and keep the DWP off your back (more so than usual anyway). Good Luck. I appreciate this is a very difficult and emotional time for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 4 months ago #265856 by Caroline
Replied by Caroline on topic Esa
Thanks, I have completed Esa50 months ago. I don't understand what the 'overlap' means. Kind regards Caroline

More
2 years 4 months ago #265875 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Esa
Hi Caroline

"Overlap' means Strong similarity between the PIP and UC/ESA criteria but there may still be differences for example: Eating and drinking www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/?dlp=6198318067b6d

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.