× Members

Will I be better of on universal credit?

More
2 years 4 months ago #265890 by Pip
I now get

Contributions based esa with a overlap of income based which means I on

Severe disability premium
Enhanced disability premium

And the highest rate of pip for both

I am a bed wridden cripple
With autism and schizophrenia
I am also depressed
And have anxiously attecks

My life is hell, am I better of on universal credit.

And can I claim anything else now or with universal credit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #265902 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Will I be better of on universal credit?
Hi Pip,
I'm sorry to hear that you seem to be struggling.
Unfortunately it is not possible to tell you whether or not you would be better off on UC without going into all of your history and paperwork. I suggest that you contact a local advice centre for a benefits check - they can do the calculations, and also check if you are receiving all the other benefits that you may be entitled to. Here's a link.
advicelocal.uk/

I'm not sure whether you would be better off on UC, it is unlikely, as my experience is that it is usually only people who are able to do a little work that are better off. However, there are some important things you need to be aware of. If you claim UC, you won't be able to go back on the so-called legacy benefits, ie things like income based ESA etc. You may lose your SDP. You will need to create an online journal, and will be expected to communicate with DWP via this. This may need to be done quite often. If you don't do this, then you could be sanctioned and lose benefit. Additionally, it is highly likely that you might then trigger a new assessment process. There is an old saying: "if it ain't broke, then why fix it! I think this applies here.
In terms of other benefits etc - presumably you claim Housing Benefit and Council tax Reduction at present?
As you are entitled to enhanced mobility PIP you can claim exemption from Road Tax, if you do have a car. You should have received a certificate of entitlement from DWP, you will need to contact DVLA who will probably ask for a copy of the certificate.
You can get Blue Badge - you don't have to drive but someone else can drive you.
Blue Badge holders can also get exemption from congestion charges, but this is something that you need to organise with relevant transport authority.
Again, I suspect that as you are on ESAib you get free prescriptions. You should also get free dental work from an NHS dentist, and free sight tests. You will qualify for vouchers for glasses, which means that you can either get free glasses if there is a cheap range, or just pay the difference if you prefer something more expensive.
I'm afraid I can't think of anything else. I do recommend a check with a benefits advisor, especially to give you the details about UC money. Also organisations such as CAB, or your GP surgery may be able to provide information about local societies that might be able to give you support.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 4 months ago #265952 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic Will I be better of on universal credit?
You will lose premiums if you move to UC. YOU WILL BE WORSE OFF.
If you need additional support, ask your council for a social services assessment.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.