× Members

Legacy Benefits - Higher Education

More
2 years 5 months ago #265893 by jasonbudd1984
Legacy Benefits - Higher Education was created by jasonbudd1984
I'm on legacy ESA (with SDP elements), as a result, I also claim Housing Benefit (and have the carer premium as I am the registered carer for a family member). For reference, I am also on Enhanced PIP. This is all for a chronic, permanent serious mental health condition (which I remain in treatment for).

I am considering pursuing going into Higher Education with a local organization, and am trying to work out what this would mean in terms of my situation. Because of the mix of legacy benefits, I'm on I'm keen to avoid triggering a UC application via natural migration.

I'm somewhat struggling to find information as to whether applying for Student Finance is going to 'trigger' this, and am trying to make an informed decision. Further to that, even if this application does not trigger a UC application, I'd welcome any input as to what will happen regardless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265935 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Legacy Benefits - Higher Education
Hi jasonbudd1984

Your question is outside the remit of the forum.

You need to contact National Union of Students: www.nus.org.uk/student-advice-information

or alternatively contact a Welfare Rights Organisation: You can find your local Welfare Rights Organisation to help you with advice by clicking on the link below and putting in your post code, it will then come up with a MAP with a list of agencies. advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 5 months ago #265943 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic Legacy Benefits - Higher Education
Hi Jason. * This is a very complex area, and you will likely be given the ‘wrong’ advice. CPAG are publishing a guide to ‘students & benefits’ next year. Go to their website and have a look (child poverty action group).
* Look at DSA (Disabled Student’s Allowance). Disability Rights UK do a factsheet.
* Your (proposed) university will have details on it’s website under Disability/ Wellbeing Services, which will give you a snapshot of what support services are available to you. TAKE ALL THAT IS OFFERED.
* Make sure you have all the facts you need before entering into a course of study. Things are changing all the time. Hopefully getting SDP will help you (but they are hacking away at this so be aware), as will receiving Legacy Benefits.
* DO NOT MOVE TO UC if at all possible, but as you are in the Support Group, you MAY be ok even if you are forced to (you need to have been through a WCA at some point if I remember right to be able to get ‘benefits’ as a student. Which you have, as you have been placed in the Support Group). As usual, everything is unnecessarily complex so people go away.
Good Luck x
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Gary

More
2 years 5 months ago #265945 by Angel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 5 months ago #265973 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic Legacy Benefits - Higher Education
Doh! That’s last year’s guide. A new one is coming out in the New Year so you may as well wait and get the most up to date. Sorry about that… not enough coffee :silly:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.