× Members

Change of circumstance for PIP

More
2 years 4 months ago #265898 by Susan
Change of circumstance for PIP was created by Susan
My mental health has got much worse since I originally claimed PIP, I was due for a review this year but I was contacted and told that my award had been renewed until 2023. I popped into citizens advice, as that is who originally helped me claim PIP, to ask if they could help me let the DWP know that my illness was a lot worse. I was told I shouldn’t as I may lose all of my PIP, I now don’t know what to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #265912 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Change of circumstance for PIP
Hi Susan

I moved your post because it appeared in someone else's thread and it may have got confusing.

I can't tell you what to do here, but I am not sure why you were advised that you could lose all your money.

If you put in for a change of circumstances, telling the DWP that your mental health has deteriorated, it will automatically trigger a review and probably a telephone assessment. You will need to provide proof of the deterioration (letter from GP or mental health professional) as well as describe the impact on the specific PIP criteria. If an assessment would be too distressing you could ask them to make a paper-based decision. If the DWP agree your condition has deteriorated - and depending on what you already receive you could receive an increased award. If they disagree your award could stay the same. It is possible they could say your condition has improved and yes, you could lose your award, but I've only ever heard of this happening a couple of times when people have put in for a change of circumstances.

Your award has been extended until 2023, but you can expect to receive a renewal form up to a year before - so depending on when in 2023 it is due you could receive a review earlier than you think in 2022.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 4 months ago #265917 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Change of circumstance for PIP
Dear Susan,
BIS has to be very diplomatic as a moderator. As a fellow forum bod may I point out particularly his comment that he does not know why you were told what you were by CAB. And if I may add to all his very sound advice, remember that CAB advice is only as good as the volunteer giving it and the training they had, and they are bound to take a very risk-averse line. Whereas if you decide to go ahead with telling DWP now in the hope of getting your award increased, everyone here on B&W will help you with answering questions which is a lot of truly knowledgeable people and very kind supportive souls, and we all have your back because we know what it is like dealing with DWP and their assessors.
Best wishes,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.