× Members

PIP and Multiple Myeloma

More
2 years 4 months ago #265947 by Andrew
PIP and Multiple Myeloma was created by Andrew
Hi All

I have a question that does not appear to have been covered on the forum.

I have Multiple Myeloma which is cancer of the Blood/Bones this cancer affects the immune system as does the treatment for it, but Multiple Myeloma is incurable.

With regards to the mobility section of PIP, I have had stem cell transplant in October which killed of any immunity I had to any disease even childhood ones, but turning to the current pandemic and the vaccination jabs they may offer some protection against COVID 19 but it is likely to be very limited and so I would not use public transport or go to any place where there maybe large numbers of people such as train stations bus station or even just a room where there is people I do not know.

As we hear on the news each night there are on average 150 people die from COVID each day and a lot of these are people with underlying conditions, apart from MM I also have COPD and Bowel cancer which as ended with me being fitted with a colostomy bag, I have basically been in Isolation for the last 18 months.

So even the thought of going out shopping with the wife fills me with fear and apprehension so planning and going on a familiar or unfamiliar route fills me with fear stress and apprehension so thinking about Activity 11 on the PIP form Planning and Following journeys does the forum think I would score on the mental health side and the physical side of the questions.
Regards
Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #265951 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP and Multiple Myeloma
Hi Andrew

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

With regard to your eligibility question about PIP, we are unable to give you a specific answer. Two people can have the same medical condition and yet one may be awarded PIP and another not. Different things come into play regarding the severity of a person's condition and the impact it has on their daily life against the specific PIP criteria and the evidence that is submitted. From what you have said you have a lot of physical difficulties that have an enormous ongoing impact and you need to describe those. Don't forget to mention the safety and reliability aspects.

In order to gain points for mental health difficulties, you will probably need a letter confirming not just that you suffer from anxiety from all you have been through and continue to go through but that you suffer from Overwhelming Psychological Distress. A letter from a GP or any other professional would help. If you don't have a specific mental health disorder then link it clearly to the physical difficulties which have had an impact on your mental state.

If you haven't already - done so - do look at our guides for help in filling in the particular questions - because it will give you a clear description of the type of answer you can give.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by BIS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.