× Members

How much housing benefit can I get/how does

More
2 years 5 months ago #265954 by Pip
How much housing benefit can I get?

How does the process work?

I am on PIP top rate both and ESA IR with a contributions overlap.

Does everywhere accept DSS?

Thank you…

Can I move out anywhere?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265959 by Gary
Hi Pip

Your questions on housing benefit and where you can live are outside the remit of the forum, most new claimants cannot claim housing benefit, they can only claim housing element in with their universal credit.

You need to seek advice from a Welfare Rights Organisation who can take all your situation into consideration: You can find your local Welfare Rights Organisation to help you with advice by clicking on the link below and putting in your post code, it will then come up with a MAP with a list of agencies. advicelocal.uk

Gary

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 5 months ago #265967 by denby
Hi Pip, you could try Shelter charity for help and advice as it is about housing.
tel:08088 004 444
Sadly many landlords will not 'take DSS' even though this is now technically illegal. One reason is that insurance companies either will not insure the let property, or charge higher premiums which the landlords have to pay.
Another reason is that hardly any lenders will lend money to would-be landlords who want to 'take DSS'. So this limits the amount of homes available to those on benefit. A mortgage broker told me this is crazy as benefit rent payments are actually more secure than rent from working tenants [think furlough and redundancy during covid...] but the lenders have not woken up to this.

I hope you find the answers you need,
Denby

More
2 years 5 months ago #265968 by denby
PS you can look up the Local Housing Allowance for anywhere in the country online. There is a page to find out what type of home your household would qualify for [eg number of bedrooms] and another to search by location, it will then give the max weekly support rate.

lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/bedroomcalculator.aspx
lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search.aspx

Hope this may help,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 5 months ago #265974 by Angel
Hi Pip, I would go to your Housing Advice centre (council), and have a chat with them. They can let you know what your ‘Priority’ level is.
If you are reliant on benefits I would try and get social housing as it is more secure. Research the Housing Associations in your area (and council properties). Think about where you would like to live and apply for housing in that area.
You will need to do some investigating. Some Housing Associations provide ‘supported accommodation’ depending on your needs. Ground floor/ adapted housing is also available if you need this. Habintag is the best provider and have different schemes around the country.
Put the work in. It will be your home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.