× Members

Blue badge

More
2 years 4 months ago #265998 by bmjohnson
Blue badge was created by bmjohnson
I can't find the search for the forum so if this has already been asked/answered I apologise.

I got my first Orange badge back in the 1990s, It's a long time since then, but as far as I cam remember the Council contacted my Doctor before the badge was issued. After that I got a life award of DLA, so my badge was renewed each year; turning blue at some time along the way. Also over time my DLA award changed from life to indefinite, then was changed to four years when I was moved to PIP.

The last badge I was issued was for a shorter period and is due to end January next year, when my PIP was due to be reassessed. My PIP award has since been extended to October. I contacted the Council about this and they said I did not need to PIP, and I could get a letter from my Doctor. I asked at the surgery (Have moved/changed doctor since), and was told the doctor no longer supplies letters for Blue badges (it was over a quarter of a century ago that I had my Orange badge). I will also lose my Bus Pass for similar reasons. I would have got that when I was 60, but they changed the age to get it to 61, then when I got to 61 they changed it to 62 and so on. I can wait a couple more years for a bus pass, but no blue badge will be a lot more inconvenient.

Has anybody else had a similar problem with delayed PIP assessments, and how did you overcome it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #265999 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Blue badge
Hi bmjohnson

You have posted your question twice so I have deleted your other post. There have been some posts on the forum in regards to blue badge queries which we have allowed but the questions are outside the remit of the forum.

The decision to award a Blue Badge lies wholly with your Local Authority, there is no need for them to speak to the DWP about it. You do not have to be in receipt of the mobility component of PIP, but it does help. The application form will tell you what you need.

You can usually download the application form your local authority website, you will need to enclose a recent signed photo and I believe the cost is £10.00, if your application is successful.

You’ll be able to get a Blue Badge automatically if you:
* get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
* get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ activity (check your decision letter if you’re not sure)
* get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 10 points for Descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity (check your decision letter)
* are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
* get a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
* received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme and have a permanent and substantial disability that affects your walking.

If you’re not automatically eligible you may be able to get a Blue Badge in certain circumstances. For example, if:

* you can’t walk at all, or you can’t walk without help from someone else or using mobility aids
* you have a terminal illness, which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult and have a DS1500 form
* you have a severe disability in both arms which means you have considerable difficulty operating parking meters
* you are always a significant risk to yourself or other people when you’re near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
* you often become extremely anxious or fearful of public or open spaces.

You say that you have been told that your doctor no longer supplies letters for Blue badges, this is not true, Doctors can supply letters to enable their patients to claim a blue badge, it would depend on how well you know your doctor. If in doubt read the Blue Badge application form.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmjohnson

More
2 years 4 months ago #266016 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Blue badge
Hi bmjohnson, sadly one must remember that GPs are profit making private businesses whatever the NHS signage on show. As such they can insist on being paid for pretty well any letters that patients ask for. Probably need to ask for 'secretary' at reception or that option on the phone, not appointments. Money talks. Just depends on how much money they want, and how much you are willing or able to pay.
Hope you are able to get your badge renewed OK,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmjohnson, Gary

More
2 years 4 months ago #266024 by greekqueen
Replied by greekqueen on topic Blue badge
Hi Bmjohnson, yes it's true GP's have stopped doing some letters and some receptionists are not issuing paperwork needed for PIP like patient summary, but this is mostly due to covid.

You could write a letter to your council explaining your past badges and medical history, and renew through the website they use for this service that way.

I do know you must normally have a year left of PIP to renew, but you can get it without a PIP award.
Here is Scotland most of the councils charge £20.

You can also get a disabled bus pass and if you check your local council you can see how it is possible to get this again without having a PIP award. My husband had one when his psychiatrist filled in a form, but there is a whole list of things you can get it through doing.

Hope that helps

greekqueen

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmjohnson

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.