× Members

Statement of Reasons PIP Tribunal

More
2 years 5 months ago #266004 by MyHipsHurt
Statement of Reasons PIP Tribunal was created by MyHipsHurt
I won my PIP Tribunal in May 2020. Is it too late to request a Statement of Reasons? I would like to have this on file as I have recently completed my review paperwork, and want it as back up just in case.

Another question relating to the Tribunal - I thought that when an award was made at Tribunal it had an end date. But as stated above, I received an invitation to renew. Is that unusual?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #266012 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Statement of Reasons PIP Tribunal
Hi MyHipsHurt

You can contact the Tribunal Service and ask for a copy of the statement of reasons. They should still have a record of it.

You are right that the majority of Tribunal decisions come with an end date and claimants are normally told to reapply for PIP. You're lucky if that's not happened to you, but it is unusual.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MyHipsHurt

More
2 years 5 months ago #266015 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Statement of Reasons PIP Tribunal
BIS

Sorry to override you on this :(

The Statement of Reasons is only produced on request, by the Judge that heard the appeal, it is not produced otherwise. The request must be made within one month of the date hearing.

Also, just for completeness, if a request for a SoR is made then a copy will also be sent to the DWP opening the opportunity for them to appeal the Decision to the UTT, where they might not have done otherwise.

So MyHipsHurt I'm afraid you are now too late to make the request.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr B, Gary

More
2 years 5 months ago #266018 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Statement of Reasons PIP Tribunal
Hi MyHipsHurt, imho it appears some claimants are "punished" for winning at Tribunal with reviews or renewals sooner than they expected.
Best wishes with yours,
Denby

More
2 years 5 months ago #266019 by MyHipsHurt
Replied by MyHipsHurt on topic Statement of Reasons PIP Tribunal
Thank you BIS.

Because it's unusual and they've asked me to renew, rather than apply from scratch, am I correct in thinking that they should award at the same level unless they can somehow prove that my conditions have improved? They have not, and I have sent plenty of up to date evidence to support that.

Leading up to the Tribunal involved a written apology from IAS for the way the assessor handled the assessment and the 'incorrect' report, a supportive letter from my (Conservative) MP, and at the Tribunal the DWP rep agreed with the judge immediately and did not contest any of it. I'm wondering if my file is flagged in some way...

I just need to be prepared, my mental health is on the floor due to an ongoing legal issue, and I cannot face another fight with the DWP or indeed another assessment, I am hoping it will be paper based.

More
2 years 5 months ago #266021 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Statement of Reasons PIP Tribunal
Hi MyHipsHurt

See Gordon's reply to this post.

You should have a decision letter issued by the tribunal, if you do not have a copy then contact HMCTS for a copy, you will need to know your reference number when asking.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr B

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.