× Members

PIP claim rejected after paper-based review

More
2 years 4 months ago #266023 by Thimble_fish
PIP claim rejected after paper-based review was created by Thimble_fish
Hi all,

Just wanted to write this to quell a bit of a rumour on the internet. I applied for PIP in the summer. About 3 - 4 months later, I received a random phone call from PIP. This person asked if they could speak to me about my claim and essentially asked the descriptor questions again (such as do I have trouble cooking, dressing etc). I gave a brief response to each question but obviously as it was an impromptu phone call, I hadn't prepared detailed responses. The entire phone call lasted about 15 minutes. I searched online what having a random phone call from PIP meant, and it seemed that I had experienced the elusive "paper-based review" which people suggested was rare and was usually a good sign. After reading these comments, I was optimistic (and quite grateful that I did not have to undergo the full assessment).

Unfortunately, 3 weeks later I received the brown envelope which contained a rejection letter. I had only received 4 points. I have a copy of the assessor's report which summarises the phone call I had and it is full of lies - basically saying things that I didn't say (and says I have a condition which I don't even have!!). I am extremely disappointed that such an impromptu, random phone call would be used against me. I will definitely be doing a mandatory reconsideration.

Anyway just wanted to write this post to share my experiences of going through a paper-based review.

Good luck to everyone applying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #266026 by greekqueen
Replied by greekqueen on topic PIP claim rejected after paper-based review
Hi Thimble_fish, sorry to hear that, it's unfortunate but definitely happens.
I have experienced this on quite a few occasions.

It's so important that you have that report, find out if there is a recording of this phonecall. You can be sure there will be somewhere, but whether you can get access to this or not is another matter.

Just take the report apart bit by bit, deconstruct it all, and if you have more medical evidence to back this up, more letters professional and personal, and also a short diary of your needs, all the better.

Good luck!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
2 years 4 months ago #266028 by denby
Hi Thimble_fish, I'd be hatching a formal complaint to the assessment company or DWP, whichever it was, copied to my MP and saying so on the one sent to 'them' so they know. If they are going to do any kind of telephone assessment I believe you should have
a] had proper notice and b] the chance to insist it be recorded. You have been denied your rights.
I obtained a paper based review for our daughter last time on grounds of OPD [overwhelming Psychological Distress], and they did not ask me or her any questions at all. They made cursory unsuccessful attempts to phone a couple of her consultants and wrote a nasty sly report; thank God they texted her to say the report was done so I immediately phoned for a copy. Seeing it, I wrote to the Decision Maker swiftly, coldly taking apart all the lies and misinterpretations of the evidence. I am so grateful to B&W as it is from here I learned you can do this, not just wait helplessly for a bad decision. The outcome was Enhanced x 2 though not for as long as anyone with lifelong conditions that cannot be improved would hope.

Best wishes for success in your MR/appeal if necessary, we are all backing you here,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHud, Gary, organic

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.