× Members

I receive PIP atm. My condition has worsened.

More
2 years 3 months ago #267255 by Michelle
Hi Can somebody please advice me on what to do.
My condition has worsened. I have alot of aids at home now. I have had a long stay in hospital. Im on more medication.
My question is do i update this info with PiP ?
I heard of claimants loosing there claim completely or dropping down to less money etc
Im really worried about this.
I cannot find any info to help me.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #267266 by pomaus
Hi Michelle,

It all depends om what level of pip you get now and what you scored points for last time.

I would dig out your old pip form if you have it and see what points you scored.

Then I would write down how your disability affects you now and see if you think your condition would now score more points.

For example if you did not score points last time for using aids whilst now cooking.
And also you now use aids to help you dress
and so forth and so forth.
Then top up the points, if you think you would now score 12 points or more by the use of aids, then it is worth asking for a review.
If however you dont believe you would score over the 12 points, then there is very little point in asking for a review.

The guides in the members section are extremely useful and do the Pip test on this site www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test to get an idea of what points you think you should get.. Like I said if it does not take you over the 12 points needed for the enhanced rate, then there is very little point in seeking a review. Good luck xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Michelle

More
2 years 3 months ago #267267 by phrank
Hi Michelle,

The answer to your question:

will the deterioration to your health score you more points with the activites - and if so will the extra points upgrade your award and give you more money?

If it will upgrade your award then it's entirely up to you whether you put in for a change of circumstances. As you correctly say, this could work in your favour but also, adversely, it could go against you.

If the extra points make no difference to your award, there seems little point mentioning this and I would leave well alone.

I hope I have given you the correct information, if not one of the mods or another member will correct me.

I wush you well.

Regards,

Phrank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Michelle

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #267268 by LL26
Hi Michelle,
I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been very well.
Certainly you could contact DWP and ask them to review your benefit. It is likely that this will mean another form to fill in, and possibly another assessment too.
If you are due a review soon, then there is no harm in simply asking for a review now instead of in say a couple of months.
Of course it is possible that DWP might reduce your award as this does happen but on the flip side if you don't ask you won't get!
Just have a think about your health now as opposed to when the last review took place. You will need to show, not only that your health has worsened but that means you fall into a (higher) points category as a result. So, to give an example, if you previously had less severe back pain, meaning you needed help to put on lower body clothing, but your back pain is now worse, but you can still manage shirts etc, then you will not get extra points, despite being in greater pain. However if your back pain has extended to the shoulder area, and you now need help for lower and upper body clothing then you can now get 4pts under 6e as opposed to 6d which is only 2pts. Similarly if your changed health fits within another descriptor in any section that has the same points then despite becoming more unwell, you can still only get the (same) previous points value. Finally, even if you can score say another 3 points. If you say have standard rate of daily living with 8pts at present, your extra 3 points are still insufficient to gain enhanced rate which requires 12 points. That's why I say you need to consider each set of descriptor activities- it is only worthwhile asking for a review if you can actually achieve a higher award.
When considering the points you could score, remember that if 2 or more activities within a descriptor set apply equally you should get the higher value. If 2 or more of the same descriptor activities apply in unequal proportions, then the correct points value is the one for the most prevalent activity problem which may be the lower value! This again may affect whether or not a successful review is viable.
If you feel that you can correctly gain several more points and this would lead to a higher award, particularly if your award had a long time to run, then it may be worthwhile asking for a review. If you want to do this, then prepare your case now, eg obtain medical evidence, then you will have everything ready to go if you do wish to apply for a review. Make sure you explain the gadgets etc.
Although DWP say you need to contact them if your condition becomes worse, if the worsening doesn't/can't amount to an increased award then there is no obligation to tell DWP. Only contact them if you want a review!
So, yes, some claimants do get a reduced award, without any real reason and I can't say for definite this won't happen to you, but if you have loads of strong evidence it is less likely to happen. If you have good evidence and can show that you have many more health difficulties meriting more points and wish to ask for a review, then go for it, as this is the only way you can get your award upgraded.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by LL26. Reason: Omission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michelle

More
2 years 3 months ago #267317 by Michelle
Replied by Michelle on topic I receive PIP atm. My condition has worsened.
Hi Pomaus,
Thank you so much for reading my post and taking the time to advise me. I really really appreciate it.
I will def get my pip form out and do what you said and go through it.
Thanks some great advise x

More
2 years 3 months ago #267318 by Michelle
Replied by Michelle on topic I receive PIP atm. My condition has worsened.
Hi Phrank,
Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to advise me. I really appreciate it!
Your absolutely right! I will dig out my old form and have a look at look and go through it and then the decision will be there for me to make ! Its in the ink lol
Thanks again. Take care

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris