× Members

Should I pay for a doctors up to date letter to support claim

More
1 year 11 months ago #269998 by Mrsjaffa13
Hi! I have fibromyalgia since 2014 and never claimed Pip as I work from home with adaptations from my employer. It has got a lot worse and I take regular meds , pregablin, paracetamol, venlafaxine and tramadol and speak to my doctor maybe once a year but have not had an appointment face to face for years as they are impossible to get. Should I pay for a letter from them as I contacted them and they said when the Pip contact them they would send one as they get paid for it. I am prepared to pay for a letter myself if it will help my application and wondered if I should?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270008 by BIS
Mrsjaffa13

Although your doctors say they will write a letter when asked by the DWP - the DWP don't very often contact them and then often argue there is no input from medical services! If the DWP do contact your doctor you have no control over what your GP might say. So you can leave it to chance, or you can pay for your doctor to produce a letter. However, if you are paying for a letter, you might want to have a conversation before the letter is written about what you would like it to say. Obviously, it depends on the relationship you have with the doctor. It won't be easy, because apart from confirming the levels of medication doctors often have difficulty in confirming information about pain, and mobility or information specific to the pip criteria. If you have very little recent medical intervention from any services, I would get hold of a letter to back up your claim. Do include any older evidence you have as well.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 11 months ago #270018 by denby
Hi, I have paid the GP twice running for our daughter's PIP renewal and consider £42 cheap at the price for the up to date confirmation it gave of conditions and what she had already said about how they affect her mobility and daily living. And what the medications are for.
You could perhaps write to the doctor first running through key points on the basis you cannot get an appointment F2F, and maybe they will take the hint and copy it in.
Denby

More
1 year 11 months ago #270027 by phrank
Hi Mrsjaffa13,

In my experience, letters from my GP have proved both invaluable and decisive in the past and have been the difference between a successful review and a bad one on more than one occasion.

Of course, it's up to you as to whether you want to go down this route or not. As BIS says it depends on your relationship with your GP as to how willing he/she is to back you up.

If at all possible if I were you, I would book an appointment to see your GP and explain your situation and take it from there.

Good luck,

Regards,

Phrank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Mrsjaffa13

More
1 year 11 months ago #270029 by Angel
Hi. I would get photocopies of all your GP notes. Highlight and submit the relevant ones. Also get a statement off your employer/ occupational health which lists your ‘adaptations’ and ideally why you need them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsjaffa13

More
1 year 11 months ago #270077 by Shrimp
I have fibro and before being diagnosed had loads of tests for lots of other stuff, saw GP many many times and and told them what I can and cannot do, about 10 years ago had a really great letter from GP, but my last one which I paid £225 for was half a page.......I moved a year ago and have not seen new GP so I sent all previous stuff with PIP review last week and explained that all consultants discharged me as there is nothing else they can do or offer....

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.