× Members

PIP activity 7

• Citizens Advice Teignbridge
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 11 months ago #270004 by Citizens Advice Teignbridge
PIP activity 7 was created by Citizens Advice Teignbridge
PIP assessment guide states Note: The ability to remember and retain information is not within the scope of this activity e.g. relevant to those with dementia or learning disabilities.

The B&W PIP guide page 62-3 states 1 What condition causes you problems?
You need to make the link between the effects of your condition and the problems you have with talking, listening and understanding.
For example, you may have a neurodevelopmental disorder which makes it hard for you to process complex sentences.

My question is what the law, and by extension the tribunal, says in regard to this?

My client, for whom I am completing an MR, displays clear signs of having an undiagonsed (or possibly lost childhood diagnosis since the NHS and her GP have been utterly disinterested in helping her to access diagnosis, support and existing evidence) learning difficulites. She also has social anxiety which causes brain freeze when under pressure, imo relevant to this activity.

I am trying to argue that she should score points based on needing communication support and am providing examples of her how her cognitive difficulties express, but this point - does the activity apply to learning difficulties/neurodevelopmental disorders? according to law, seems key.

On another point, the B&W guide states that “Communication support” means support from a person trained or experienced in communicating with people with specific communication needs, including interpreting verbal information into a nonverbal form and vice versa.

whilst the PIP assessment guide gives a broader definition: Communication support means support from another person trained or experienced in communicating with people with specific communication needs (for example, a sign language interpreter); or someone directly experienced in communicating with the claimant themselves (for example, a family member or carer).

Why doesn't B&W include this broader definition?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270011 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic PIP activity 7
Hi Citizens Advice Teignbridge,
Please note that I have deleted your wholly identical second post.
As with all PIP activities, diagnosis (or lack of) is not important. What is important is to show that you have a health condition which causes a loss of function and causes difficulties in undertaking any PIP activity.
The definition of 'Communication Support' is the one taken directly from the regulations. This is the law.
However, if you scroll down further to page 63, in the middle of para 2 you will note that there is mention made that family members who understand the claimant can comprise the communication support.
In order to score points under Descriptor 7 you will need to show the claimant's difficulties, why he can not speak or understand, and whether there are any situations which are particularly difficult in this respect. Remember that the claimant will need to be able to communicate across the whole day as reasonably required. Unlike say, preparing food which may only be needed 2 or 3 times per day, it is likely that communication is required certainly during every waking hour, and possibly also at night. If the claimant can not communicate all the day, as long as it isn't a really trivial amount of time, then he should score points, if he needs support during these times, then he should score 4/8 points 7c or 7d.
Think also about whether the communication can be done to an acceptable standard or whether it can be done in a reasonable time.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Citizens Advice Teignbridge
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 11 months ago #270414 by Citizens Advice Teignbridge
Replied by Citizens Advice Teignbridge on topic PIP activity 7
Hi thanks for your reply but it doesn't really address the main thrust of my question which was whether the PIP assessment guide is reflecting the LAW when it states "Note: The ability to remember and retain information is not within the scope of this activity e.g. relevant to those with dementia or learning disabilities." ?
I would be grateful if you could address this part of my question. If the assessment guide is incorrect, then how would we challenge this in an MR and appeal? (Seeing as this note is used as a basis to not award points in every decision that I have seen in the past two years)

More
1 year 11 months ago #270446 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic PIP activity 7
Hi Citizens Advice Teignbridge,
The PIP Assessment Guide is not law, it is guidance only. It has no force of law.
My understanding of descriptor 7 is that some degree of retention is required, but it depends on the nature of the conversation as to what retention is required.
Think about the following scenarios
A) You are about to meet your mother who has some signs of dementia, you realise it is now snowing and you phone to tell her to make sure she puts her winter boots on. You arrive 10 minutes later and she has the normal sandals she wears around the house.
B)Your cousin who has learning difficulties is staying with you. You tell him not to use the bathroom tap as it is broken. He says OK. You need to go out to get some shopping and return 1 hour later to find the bathroom flooded.
C)Your husband who has poor memory due to a brain injury is having a conversation with you about whether he would like carrots or cabbage with his supper. He says cabbage, but at supper time 10 minutes later he says 'where are the carrots'? - he has forgotten.
D) You are talking with your elderly father who has dementia. He needs to take his medication, but keeps asking what is it for, and he says he has taken it already. You have patiently explained for the last 5 minutes what his tablets are for, and he hasn't already taken it, but father keeps repeatedly demanding an answer about his pills. Finally you distract him by putting the football on.
In scenarios A and B, there is a clear safety issue, and it is arguable that retention of information is much more important in these situations. The wrong shoes and use of the tap indicate a lack of understanding, despite the time gap. The lack of retention is only apparent later.
In scenario C does it matter whether the wrong vegetables are provided? Probably not, but if these issues occur sufficiently regularly and cause frustration then perhaps an acceptable standard is not reached?
In the final scenario, the constant question and explanation may indicate not being able to complete the activity in a reasonable time and not in an acceptable manner. It is important someone has understanding about their medicine - again there is a safety issue if medicine is incorrectly taken.
If the above examples or similar misunderstandings of conversations occur throughout the day this could indicate that communication can not be done 'reliably'. There may be other scenarios that would equally show retention could be important.
I am not aware of any caselaw about this aspect of communication so these are my opinions, based on how I would respond in a submission to this issue.
To address what I feel is incorrect in the DWP guidance I would use a relevant scenario from your individual claimant based on the sort of things he doesn't understand or retain. Argue it in the same way that I have illustrated; what seems to be absolutely clear to me is that lack of retention can be crucial as it will indicate the reliability criteria may not be met.
If both DWP and First Tier Tribunal disagree, then this may be an interesting point of law to argue at Upper Tribunal?
I hope this helps clarify.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SUE C C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.