× Members

Transitional protection

More
1 year 10 months ago #270028 by Michael
Transitional protection was created by Michael
Hi me and my partner currently receive ESA old style and get the severe disability premium at the couple's rate which I believe is £138.80 a week because we both receive PIP. My question is when we are forced to universal credit will the transitional protection be the same amount as the SDP we are losing. From what I read the couple's amount for transitional protection is £405 a month which is less not the same is this correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270056 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Transitional protection
Hi Michael,
I have found an article from CPAG, which is a leading welfare rights charity. This tends to confirm what you stated above. The article was a year ago, but I am not aware that anything has changed since then. Here is the link: CPAG SDP Transitional protection

I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael

More
1 year 10 months ago #270067 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Transitional protection
Michael

Just to clarify, there will be from Monday (9 May 2022) two types of migration from a legacy benefit to UC; the current Natural Migration and a Managed Migration.

Natural Migration occurs when a claimant makes a claim for UC due to a Change of Circumstances that necessitates a claim for UC. An example would be someone claiming Housing Benefit who moves from one Local Authority to another. The rates quoted apply to this situation.

A Managed Migration will be where the DWP invite a claimant to claim UC on the basis that their existing legacy benefit will be terminated. In this case, there will be a Transitional Payment equal to the difference between the applicable rate of UC at that time and the amount received from the legacy benefit and any associated Premiums, assuming that the UC rate is lower. This TP will be payable until the amount is eroded either by increases in the UC amount payable or a Change of Circumstances.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael

More
1 year 10 months ago #270070 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic Transitional protection
You will be worse off.. the ‘transitional protection’ is less than you currently receive and will not increase yearly with inflation. As a single person I will lose ‘approx’ the same amount as Enhanced Disability Premium which is £17 per week. It is not an exact science, but basically you will be worse off. The ‘transitional protection’ is a lie…. Go on as many calculators as you can, as everyone’s circumstances are different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael, denby

More
1 year 10 months ago #270085 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Transitional protection

You will be worse off.. the ‘transitional protection’ is less than you currently receive and will not increase yearly with inflation. As a single person I will lose ‘approx’ the same amount as Enhanced Disability Premium which is £17 per week. It is not an exact science, but basically you will be worse off. The ‘transitional protection’ is a lie…. Go on as many calculators as you can, as everyone’s circumstances are different.

I am sorry but this is incorrect!

As I explained, under the Managed Migration the Transitional Protection will mean that a claimant will not receive less than they are receiving at the time of the transfer.

As to the calculators, they do not currently calculate any Transitional Payment and I would be surprised if they ever do, just what a claimant will be eligible for under Universal Credit.

Gordon

More
1 year 10 months ago #270245 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic Transitional protection
Sorry, but I disagree…. I have worked this out several times. Using this tax year (2022/23) I will be worse off by £18.01 per week. I have not used a ‘benefits calculator’, I have accessed the UC amounts and added them together. As a single person potentially (i.e. not yet) receiving LCWRA UC I would receive £120 per month ‘transitional protection’.

I currently receive ESA IR [Support Group] and SDP, as I also receive PIP Enhanced both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.