× Members

Why does the DWP keep getting the amount from my private (works) pension wrong?

More
1 year 11 months ago #270148 by Ian
I've been on NS ESA for a couple of years. I also get about £50 per month from a pension I paid into a few years back.

Last April, I got a letter from DWP asking by how much my pension was increasing by, because "I had told them that I was getting £107 per month from my pension".

I politely wrote back correcting the error and heard nothing more until today, when I got a letter from them asking by how my pension is increasing by, only this time I had apparently told them that I was getting £248 a month from the pension!

Is this something that other people have experienced? Are they trying to catch me out with something, or is it just stupidity on their part?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #270152 by Gary
Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum

I have to admit that I have not come across the same issue as you on the forum.

I cannot answer the last part of your question although a few members on the forum might. :whistle:

I would contact DWP by phone as there is an issue with their post.

If you received an occupational or personal pension that pays more than £85 a week then your contributory ESA payment is reduced by half of the amount over this limit. For example, if you receive £105 a week before tax from a personal pension , your ESA is reduced by £10, ie half of the excess figure of £20. If you receive more than one pension then they are added together for the calculation.

£107 pm is only £24.69 a week, therefore your NS ESA should not be affected.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Gary.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270286 by Angel
Forms are sent every April as Pensions increase with inflation. I send mine back at the end of May as April amounts are usually transition amounts between the new and last tax years.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270815 by Ian
Thank you for your reply.

As an update, I have now received a letter with the correct amount for my pension, but asking - again - for the details of the company managing my pension, and by how much it increasing in the next financial year. This is all information that I have previously sent them.

To cap it all, I have received a letter from DWP stating that I am in receipt of a pension from my Local Authority! This is the first I new about it. I have, over the past five years, worked a few days as a Polling Station Clerk and a Vote Counter, but that's it.

Not a question, just a rant, really! But if anyone has had similar experience, it would be good to know about it. :unsure: :dry:

More
1 year 10 months ago #270817 by Ian
Hi Angel

Yes, I can understand why they ask for the amount that the pension is being increased by. It's their ability to get things consistently wrong/make things up that concerns me, and is causing me great anxiety - which is one of the reasons I get ESA in the first place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk

More
1 year 10 months ago #270852 by Angel
My tax code on one of my pensions is ALWAYS wrong so that could be another issue…

I would contact LGPS (local government pension scheme) and ask if you have a pension with them! Your NINO should link you if it does exist….

Also look on the HMRC site to see what info they are working with (government gateway).
The following user(s) said Thank You: s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk, LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.