× Members

points for not being able to reliably leave the house to follow a familiar route

More
1 year 11 months ago #270172 by ostia
Hello
The comments from Moderator Gary seem to stress only psychological reasons for leaving the house to follow a route. What it in addition to fluctuating anxiety conditions, you have a diagnosed CFS/ME post viral illness that means that at times you may want to go out but are physically unable to?
Does that gain points?
Also re the question in PIP Review Form re following an unfamiliar route...if one consistently gets lost , extremely fatigued and has NEAD resulting in having to rest in a quiet place so that an unfamiliar route cannot be followed without another person present to care for me, find the way home or preferably drive me eg a friend, or a cab etc ...would that then count too? or is it one or the other ie familiar or unfamilar route....
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270189 by Gary
Hi Anna

Any physical problems you have are covered by the Moving Around activity they will not be considered for Going Out.

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there any problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

When you talk about cannot follow the route to an unfamiliar journey it is only worth 10 points

whereas cannot follow the route of a familiar journey is worth 12 points.

Have a look at our guides: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoxyKnits

More
1 year 11 months ago #270230 by ostia
Replied by ostia on topic Unable to reliably leave the house .......
Thanks Gary. I am still really puzzled that you say only psychological issues are counted, and not the physical ones too that arise from fluctuating conditions like ME, MS etc. My head is spinning from trying to read the long PIP Guide. Would it be possible for you to check this for me please, I have to send my form in by Friday! Panicking a bit. Many thanks.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270232 by ostia
Hello, I just looked at the PIP paper guide and it seems that the PIP Review form I was sent this year has different numbering. I am still confused about the point scoring system...
Is it possible to score in more than one of the alphabetical categories? Eg in my case, I can leave the house alone sometimes to go to a familiar place, but I am subject to panic and dissociative seizures and also fatigue from ME.
I have recorded proof of observed seizures in my local area which were requested by my Neurologist.
As regards unfamiliar journeys, I cannot take these without another person present as the panic and dissociation, getting completely lost and exhausted etc make it impossible for me. I have tried it in the past and am not happy to do it again.
For the above scenario would I score for both d and f? Or just one? I would be happy either way frankly but just need to know how much information and time to put into explaining each scenario. Deadline to send in Review form is Friday, any help is much appreciated!

More
1 year 11 months ago #270267 by Gary
Hi ostia

if you scored for both (d) and (f) then you would get the higher award, you would not get both sets of points.

If you cannot do something:

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and acceptable standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as a person without a physical or mental health condition would take to carry out the activity.

then you should not be considered able to do the activity.

The fact that you can’t do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly or in a reasonable time, means you can’t do it at all for the purposes of the descriptors.

You need to explain how your condition affects you like you have done on the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.