× Members

ESA overpayment

More
1 year 11 months ago #270290 by OUTLANDER
ESA overpayment was created by OUTLANDER
Hi all,

I received a letter yesterday stating I have an ESA overpayment and need to pay back £51.32 a fortnight. As I receive £86.44 weekly this is a large chunk from my ESA payment. There is no explanation on the letter of how this debt payment has been arrived at. The ESA phone line doesn't deal with overpayments and at present I can't speak to CAB debt advisor as the line is constantly busy. So the next course of action is to write a letter to them. Can you suggest how to approach this as I'm struggling financially at the moment even before this letter arrived? Regards as always

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270304 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA overpayment
Hi OUTLANDER

The first thing you need to do is find out what was the cause of the overpayment, if it was an official error then you do not need to pay this back unlike UC where any official errors still have to be repaid.

You do need to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; you can find your local Welfare Rights Organisation to help you with advice by clicking on the link below and putting in your post code, it will then come up with a MAP with a list of agencies. advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.