× Members

New PiP claim

More
1 year 11 months ago #270465 by gdh
New PiP claim was created by gdh
My Husband has been looking at claiming PiP. He has a stoma and an enormous para stoma hernia. He cannot change his bag on his own as he cannot see it due to the hernia. He has to empty it 6 or 7 times during the day and 2 or 3 at night. We have looked at the descriptors but only the incontinence one seems to be relevant, so only 6 points. Is there anything else relevant to add to take it up to 8 points. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270481 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic New PiP claim
Hi gda

I am not a medical expert and you and your husband know his condition best. Have you looked through our PIP guide and each question and how it might be answered? Is your husband able to have adequate nutrition with his stoma and hernia? You say he cannot change the bag - does it restrict his ability to move, get dress, or wash in the same way that someone without that medical condition would? Does it affect his ability to communicate with others - if there is a danger of the bag filling up in company - does he avoid interactions outside of the house? I have a relative with an enormous hernia and it has implications for the amount of pain, which slows down and restricts movement - also has an effect on what can be eaten - and getting the right amount of nutrition.

I cannot say where else he might score - but have a good look at the questions and you might see there are other issues that you have not thought about mentioning, that you should at least try.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: gdh, SUE C C

More
1 year 11 months ago #270535 by gdh
Replied by gdh on topic New PiP claim
Would assistance to change his bag be under the medication and therapy section?

More
1 year 11 months ago #270549 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic New PiP claim
Hi gdh,
There was a recent case rhatcsaid help to self catheterise would not comprise therapy under descriptor 3. I therefore suspect that changing a stoma bag would not come under 3 either. The rationale is that you are not supposed to gain points under different descriptors for exactly the same disability.
As BIS outlined above, have a think about all of the descriptors, and consider the effect of pain, whether husband can perform the PIP activities In a reasonable time, to an acceptable standard and repeatedly as required across the day. Do you reasonably need help with these activities, do you actually get help? Why do you need the help, maybe this indicates you can't do the activity within time or acceptably. (Reasonable time is no more than twice that of an able bodied person.)
If you analyse any help given, this might show where points could be awarded. Think also of fatigue, breathlessness, this might also indicate not acceptable standard, or inability to repeat etc.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: gdh, SUE C C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.