× Members

Challenging a PA3 report

More
1 year 11 months ago #270470 by Catherine
Challenging a PA3 report was created by Catherine
Hi,

I am my sons appointee and back in February I applied for PIP on his behalf as he’d reached the age of 16 (he’d been on DLA previously).

He had a paper based assessment and I asked to be sent a copy of the medical report, which I received today. Shockingly most of it is accurate & generally I'm happy but there are 2 activities where the report recommends he receive no points (activity 7 & 8). I believe I included enough evidence in my application (including a supporting letter from school) to prove he qualifies for least 2 points on each but the medical assessor has ignored this. They did say that they considered 7C & 8E but ultimately said he doesn’t have any needs in these areas. My question is, can I now write to the DWP to say I disagree with that part of the report or do I have to wait until the decision has been made? I don’t want to risk him losing other points if I do it as a MR, but I don’t want them to think I agree with my son getting no points for those 2 activities.

Also, it says that they believe that my son doesn’t need any help to complete any future claim processes. Does that mean they will stop me being his appointee?

Thanks in advance for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270477 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Challenging a PA3 report
Hi Catherine

You have a short window of time - to write to the Decision Maker - before the award letter is issued. It may or may not be looked at, but you can certainly put it in. Make it clear you are writing before the decision comes out. You can then later put in for an MR if you want to. I would also challenge the information about your son no longer needing you to help him complete the form. This is just an opinion, but clearly, you believe it is wrong - so explain why. No, they won't stop you from being his appointee.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 11 months ago #270484 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Challenging a PA3 report
Thanks for you reply.

I’ll send a quick letter off & hope it’ll get there in time. I didn’t realise there was a short amount of time between the medical report being finished & a decision being made as I keep reading about endless delays.

Also, does the decision maker usually just follow the advice of the medical assessor or will they also look at all the supporting evidence I sent in?

More
1 year 11 months ago #270486 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Challenging a PA3 report
Hi Catherine

It is common for the decision-maker to follow the advice of the assessor, as they are not medically trained. However, sometimes they do change things for the better and occasionally for the worse. They should look at the evidence used to make the original report.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.