× Members

ESA Income based to ESA Contribution based and back

• davemason59@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #270537 by davemason59@hotmail.com
ESA Income based to ESA Contribution based and back was created by davemason59@hotmail.com
I have been on ESA for 7 years now. I started of on income based then I inherited some money and was put onto contribution based. I have now reached under the £6000 savings limit and have contacted ESA and they are adjusting my claim back to Income based.. I was also told to claim UC as it is the only way to get housing benefit. I have been in the ESA support group for the duration. Am I right to think that as the local council came totally under UC during my claim that my ESA should be carried on and just my rent and council tax be arranged by UC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270543 by Gary
Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum.
Please go into your records and change your forum name. At the moment your email address is showing and this is open for anyone to see on the internet.

Follow the link on how to do this benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum

Thinking about your post, I would assume that 7 years ago you were in receipt of both CB ESA with a top up of IR ESA. When you inherited some money, I assume it was over £16k then the IR ESA would have stopped as it is means tested but the CB ESA would continue.

Once you savings go under £16k then you can re-apply again, as your initial claim had stopped you would now have to apply for UC going forward to claim help towards your rent.

Your CB ESA can carry on but will be taken into account when you claim UC £ for £.

You need to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation: advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.