× Members

PIP -Preparing and cooking food question for severe ME

More
1 year 11 months ago #270559 by roseof sharon
Hello I wonder if somebody can help me. I care for my husband who has severe ME and is bedbound . I'm looking at the question of preparing food. I understand that I need to put all the reasons why he can't do this, what I really want to ask about today is where it asks about aids - it's impossible for him to get to the Kitchen and I will explain all the various reasons he cannot do it - exhaustion, pain etc but I'm not sure whether to tick yes he needs to use aids because I don't know whether I class as an aid. I know in some ways it seems obvious to just put no he doesn't use aids because he doesn't go to the kitchen, but I'm not sure, nothing about this form is obvious. So I wonder if somebody could help me with this.
Another question - he can't get to the bathroom either, so I have to bring all the gear into the into the bedroom and we have to use bowls etc , I'm wondering whether I should put that he uses aids for this as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270563 by LL26
Hi roseofsharon,
Aids or appliances are something that can be used to help improve loss of function. The obvious one would be a walking stick for walking.
In terms of kitchen aids, things like a slotted spoon to help drain vegetables, a knife with adapted grip. Maybe an alarm that tells when food is cooked. These things can be shop bought or improvised.
In terms of bathing. A grab rail to hold onto, a shower seat, long handled brush to reach behind could also be aids.
However I think perhaps you maybe missing the point. (Sorry!)
In terms of cooking, the test involves preparing and cooking a simple meal for one from fresh ingredients. If your husband can not actually get to the kitchen, assuming you don't have a camping stove in the bedroom, then he can't do the cooking part of the activity. Whether he can peel and chop veg is neither here nor there.(And of course he may not be able to do that either, but even if he can, and assuming no fridge in the bedroom, you would have to bring everything upstairs and down again. I'm thinking that's got to be either too much time, or not acceptable standard.)
Therefore you don't mention aids because he can't do a major part of the activity.
Bathing means getting in and out of a bath or shower. You need to be able to bathe and wash. Your husband can not access the bath or shower so woukd qualify for at least 3 points 4e.
Does he need help to wash his upper body, if yes then 4pts 4f. If you do all the washing then it's 4g - can not bathe and wash at all. Even if your husband can manage a bit of washing, if the majority of the activity is done by you, then 4g applies. Consider what both of you do. Certainly 4e, maybe higher.
Aids will only provide 2 points. The bowl etc you use may be aids for YOU rather than husband! If he doesn't use them at all, or very seldom/ineffectively, then it isn't an aid for him!
You should be awarded the highest points value so here at the least it's 3 pts 4e for not getting into bath, but I think depending on what actually happens your post suggests it should be 4g, and no aids, if husband doesn't use them! It will only confuse DWP and allow them to award just 2 points.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.