× Members

Accompanying someone to the jobcentre

More
1 year 11 months ago #270572 by Giselle
Accompanying someone to the jobcentre was created by Giselle
Does anyone know the current DWP regulations regarding accompanying someone to the jobcentre? We used to have a right to do so, then this was suspended due to covid. We have someone who is being summoned in weekly and bullied, and it's affecting their mental health. But the jobcentre security isn't allowing anyone in unless they have an appointment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270596 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Accompanying someone to the jobcentre
Hi Giselle

I'm sorry, but your question is outside the scope of the forum. I 've tried as I'm sure you have done to find out information on this - even to see if there were any recent press releases but came up with nothing. I think it's something that should be raised with an MP. No one should be bullied and there are clearly many who need support for interviews.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 11 months ago #270617 by MrFibro
Replied by MrFibro on topic Accompanying someone to the jobcentre
Hi,

This bullying performance should also be brought to the attention of local media/ newspapers/ press etc.

Who ever is giving out this directive of bullying tactics, in order for disabled claimants not to be able to attend interviews, and for them to lose out on their rightfully benefits, in order to survive in this life. Them and those should be named and shamed, and made accountable for their arrogant and disgraceful antics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
1 year 11 months ago #270620 by Mr B
Replied by Mr B on topic Accompanying someone to the jobcentre
Hi Giselle

Like BIS I have had a look - fairly quickly in my case - on the internet and have found the following relating to Universal Credit. I realise your client may not be on UC but I think what it says about taking someone with you to an appointment will apply to other benefits too. Quoting from the page I found:

"If you want to take a friend or relative with you
You can take a friend or relative with you to your interview if you need support.

Tell the DWP before your interview and explain your reasons. They have to let you take someone with you.

You can contact the DWP on your Universal Credit journal. If you have problems doing this, call the Universal Credit helpline:

Universal Credit helpline"

for the page this is from please click www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/unive...ere%27s%20no%20extra

I'm sure this will also apply to taking a welfare rights - or other official helper, - with you. In the first instance, if your client agrees, can I suggest you contact the Jobcentre and arrange for you - or a colleague - to be added to the appointment the client has?

I am sorry your client feels bullied and this is affecting their mental health. It's a matter of judgement for you as to whether you mention this when you ask to be added into the appointment but it may perhaps be better to secure the appointment first and go along with the client to the appointment where you should get a better idea of the situation and be able to help the client explain how their mental health is being affected by these interviews and their frequency.

Of course if all else fails then an official complaint, perhaps contacting the MP as well, may well be necessary but I would recommend you contact the Jobcentre as I suggested first.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Mr B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, SUE C C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.