× Members

Would past Travel affect a new PIP claim?

More
1 year 10 months ago #270586 by Anxious
Hi,

As I've mentioned in another topic I'm currently filling out my UC50 form for OCD. The main areas I think I can score points on are Social engagement and to some degree Travel.

In my opinion I completely fit the criteria of "Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual". I never engage in social contact apart from with my own family and girlfriend.

I also never travel anywhere without my mum or family member with me and find any kind of public transport very distressing and will almost never use it unless accompinied by a family member and even thne will do my best to avoid it. I am essentially a shut in most of the time.

The thing is a few years ago I visited my girlfriend who lives abroad. I did not do anything myself apart from the sitting on the plane, everything else was taken care of for me. My family drove me to the airport and waited with me, the only time I was alone was breifly before boarding and on the aeroplane. I was then picked up by my girlfriend straight from the airport and never had to engage in any social contact outside of passport security. This is the only trip I've ever made abroad or anywhere that wasn't a family holiday.

My question is , will this be held against my social engagement and travel claims? As far as I'm aware the UC50 form doesn't require I mention if i've been abroad , but the PIP claim form says I have to state if i was abroad at any time for longer than 4 weeks which I was.

I'm worried if I start a PIP claim they will then hold this travel information against my UC50 claim or the PIP claim. Is it better to not start the PIP process incase this information is used against me? This travel was several year ago also and as my condition fluctuates I wouldn't be necessarily able to take the same journey now.

Any help is again much apprecaited!
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270588 by LL26
Hi Anxious,
The reason the question is asked about being abroad is to make sure that you meet the residence requirements. Most benefits including PIP require who to show you usually reside in the UK, and aren't someone who lives abroad and isn't entitled to benefit. I can't remember the residence question, but if your trip was a while ago then I doubt it will be relevant. Unless the question specifically asks have you been abroad for X weeks on the last ten years, and your trip abroad fits within whatever the question asks you don't need to mention this on the form at all.
Although this doesn't quite apply to you, there was a recent tribunal case about someone with poor walking ability who went for a foreign holiday. He was declined .obesity award (for walking) because he was able to get round the airport. This was held to be wrong, as this was a one off holiday and did NOT reflect the majority of days as required by law for all PIP descriptors. So a one one off visit abroad etc will not show you can engage with people. Moreover this was a long time ago, and you have explained you were feeling less unwell and everything was arranged. (The fact that you had to have a lot if help means that this was not an easy thing to do either!)
Given that the trip was a while back when things were better you don't need to mention this (unless the question discussed above requires this.) If you were invited to an assessment again you could umchoose not to mention unless it was relevant, or alternatively explain that due to increasing ill health you haven't had a holiday for X years.
You will need to answer questions correctly is asked or required. I don't think that the original residence questions are processed by the same people, and I very much doubt thst any cross referencing will occur in this respect.
Please pursue your claim. It is important for people with disabilities to claim the money thst they are entitled to. I know that the benefits system is complicated and perhaps frightening, but everyone and B&W will be willing you on and will try to help if you have specific queries.
Good luck.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SUE C C

More
1 year 10 months ago #270611 by Anxious
Replied by Anxious on topic Would past Travel affect a new PIP claim?
Thank you very much, that's a great reply! Very helpful and encouraging .I certainly will pursue my PIP claim also then, it looks like it shouldn't affect things and I certainly dont want to miss out on benefits I might be entitled to because of fear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.