× Members

PIP Review - when they got it wrong last time

More
1 year 10 months ago #270609 by LilacGem
PIP review
Regarding descriptors where you think the decision was wrong last time….

For example

For cooking they awarded me 2 points because they believe I can cook simple meal in microwave not conventional cooker. But I cant do anything from scratch, I cant do the whole thing including preparation, even using a microwave. I can only manage to heat up ready meals or something prepared by someone else.

Therefore we are planning to put the following in the box ‘Tell us if something has changed’

No change in ability, but although previous award letter stated she can cook a simple meal using a microwave but not a conventional cooker, she remains only able to heat up ready prepared food, she cannot prepare & then cook something from scratch (using fresh ingredients) either in microwave or conventional cooker. See detail below.

Then we plan to put the full explanation of why (basically just a repeat of what was put in the PIP2 form following B&W guide), in the section for “Tell us how you manage this activity now”. And to use extra sheets.

It’s a dilemma because I want to avoid it being sent to Capita for a reassessment, but there are lots of areas where they got it wrong & I'm concerned about just saying ‘no change’ for risk of appearing to agree with the assessor/Decision Maker’s original judgement.

Does that sound like the best approach for those questions where they got it wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270624 by BIS
Hi Cemily

Yes, your approach sounds like a good one to take. You cannot guarantee that you won't get a telephone assessment - so if you want a paper-based assessment - make sure you request one on the form. If they then refuse - you can always appeal their decision.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilacGem, SUE C C

More
1 year 9 months ago #270858 by LilacGem
Replied by LilacGem on topic PIP Review - when they got it wrong last time
Thanks BIS,
so to ask for a paper based assessment..... is the advice about requesting a particular type of assessment in the guide? If so i have missed it will have to reread.

If its not in the guide, how does one go about asking for that and where on the form do we put the request?

Is it just a case of writing something like 'Camly would find a telephone assessment difficult because
so please could we request a paper based assessment'? And putting that in the 'anything else you want to tell us' box?

More
1 year 9 months ago #270909 by BIS
Hi Cemily

If you read in the PIP guide benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip from "What kind of assessment will I have" - it explains the different ones etc and what to do and say if you get offered a type you do not want. In the past there was nothing you could do about it, but now you can appeal. However, some people also choose to make a request beforehand - and you're right you can put that information in the 'tell us what you want' box. Make sure that you say because of her condition she would not be able to verbally give a fair account of her difficulties.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilacGem, SUE C C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.