× Members

PIP Review

More
1 year 10 months ago #271589 by magdelena
PIP Review was created by magdelena
Am I right in thinking that PIP Reviews are generally paper based?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #271599 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Review
Hi Magdelena

I'm afraid you're not. The majority are still telephone/face to face. Only a small percentage are paper-based.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: magdelena

More
1 year 10 months ago #271605 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic PIP Review
Thank you BIS.

I read this in the guide regarding the PIP Review.

“What happens after you return the form The Award Review form goes to a DWP case manager (decision maker) initially, rather than a health professional.

DWP guidance says the case manager “will compare the new information against the evidence from the previous assessment”. The case manager can also contact you or your carer for more information, but cannot send for more medical evidence.

If the case manager cannot make a decision, then all the information is forwarded to Independent Assessment Services or Capita for assessment by a health professional.

According to the DWP the health professional will have access to the Award Review form, any additional evidence obtained by the case manager and “all relevant medical evidence”. What is not clear is whether the most recent PIP 2 ‘How your disability affects you’ form must be consulted by the health professional.

The health professional will initially attempt to make their assessment solely on the papers. Only if that isn’t possible will you be required to attend a face-to-face assessment. A decision will then be made by a case manager in the normal way.

So, bear in mind when completing the Award Review form that your initial aim is initially to try to convince, not a health professional, but a DWP case manager that your evidence is sufficiently accurate and detailed for a decision to be made.”

I’m assuming I can request a paper-based review? Especially given my husband has Parkinson’s and Cognitive Impairment and the last f2f was deeply stressful for us both. It will be more so now.

More
1 year 10 months ago #271610 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Review
Hi Magdalena

I know what the guidance says and I can't put my finger on the exact numbers but less than 10% are paper-based - so in reality, they rarely seem to make a decision even when it is the most logical thing to do and that's because it's a non-medical professional looking at it.

You absolutely can request a paper-based review and put in a clear explanation of why you think that is the most appropriate way to assess him - focus on his difficulties - and the distress it would put on him, not the terrible experience of the previous time. If they refuse you can still appeal and ask again.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: magdelena

More
1 year 10 months ago #271613 by magdelena
Would they really do a face-to-face with someone who’s cognitive impairment score is indicative of dementia?

More
1 year 10 months ago #271614 by magdelena
I’m so confused. I know there’s no logic to how the DWP operate but why would they bother sending out an Award Review (PIP 1043) asking what has changed, and then treat it exactly like the PIP2 form?

I’m going to phone the DWP and Capita tomorrow to seek their advice on having this done as a paper based review because when I spoke to them about my husband’s ESA50 assessment in 2019, they both agreed paperbased was best.

I’m guessing it will help to mention that under the DWP Severe Conditions Criteria my husband remained in the Support Group and his ESA reassessments were “switched off”. I’m hoping this will help.

My poor husband is beside himself at the thought of another f2f. We’re both terrified to be honest.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.