× Members

PIP Review

More
1 year 9 months ago #271621 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Review
Hi Magdalena

I would hope they would do a paper-based review as well - what I'm trying to say is that it is not a given. One of our members reported in the last couple of weeks that their partner who had cognitive difficulties from a severe brain injury had been given a face-to-face examination that they got changed to a telephone assessment. After five minutes the telephone assessment was stopped and the assessor said it should never have taken place and they would do a paper-based assessment. They too were in the ESA support group. I hope you don't have to get that far. Your original question was are most reviews paper-based and the answer is no. You are wise to ring and see if you can get a paper-based review.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: magdelena

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #271641 by phrank
Replied by phrank on topic PIP Review
Hi Magdalena,

The 1 in 10 success rate of getting a paper review are possibly misleading.

I don't know the figures, but there has to be a large proportion of people who don't read sites and forums like this and are therefore at a disadvantage from the start.

I used to go in blindly saying things like 'I should be be put back in the ESA support group where I belong' and adding little else to back up my claim for a mandatory reconsideration. Needless to say the answer was always a 'no'.

This got me nowhere.

The point I'm making is the same must be for requests for paper based assessments. How many people write things like 'I'd like a paper based review as I don't feel well' or 'my leg is hurting and I can't get to the assessment centre.' which WE all know will fall on deaf ears.

I believe you may have a better chance than you think, although the odds are still against you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Kind regards,

Phrank.

More
1 year 9 months ago #271644 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic PIP Review
Thank you so much BIS. I called the DWP this morning and the lady who answered my call put me through to a Decision Maker who was incredibly understanding and kind. She assured me she’d do her best to do my husband’s review on paper and encouraged me to provide good, recent medical evidence.

Fortunately we received a letter from the Consultant Neurologist this week so I’m included that along with a few other things. It lists diagnosis, medications, recommendations and a bit about the concerns raised during the consultation.

I read back through the forum and found the post you mentioned. I’m relieved to hear that their partner’s assessment was transferred to paper-based. These compassionate gestures make such a difference.

I’ll be returning the form early next week so hopefully we’ll know where we stand sometime within the fortnight.

More
1 year 9 months ago #271662 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic PIP Review
Bless you Phrank, I truly appreciate your kind and pragmatic thoughts. Thank you so much.

I’m certainly more optimistic than I was at this time yesterday but I remain realistic. While I can’t know that it’ll be a success yet, I’m sure I’ll sleep better tonight and that in itself is lovely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phrank

More
1 year 9 months ago #271680 by phrank
Replied by phrank on topic PIP Review
Hi magdelena,

Awww.....think nothing of it. Please keep us all up date with what's happening.

Kind regards,

Phrank.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.