× Members

Impact of back-dated claim for Severe Disability Premium

More
1 year 9 months ago #272133 by Gary
Hi woody34

If you move local authority area and need to claim help towards your rent then you woud have to claim UC.

If you receive a letter from DWP asking you to move over to UC and you ignore the letter then your claim for ESA would stop.

The migration exercise resumed from 9 May 2022 initially in 2 areas, Bolton and Medway. DWP plan to develop their processes gradually and will start by sending up to 250 migration notices in each of the 2 areas. It is expected that the exercise will gradually cover other areas and test processes with greater numbers of claimants before scaling up to the full exercise. www.gov.uk/government/publications/compl...-universal-credit--2

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #272435 by woody34
Thanks everyone for your help. Thought I should give an update.

In the end I made the claim for Severe Disability Premium by phoning DWP - the person helped made it as easy as possible, filling the form in for me over the phone. I then received a message to phone back - when I did, they asked me to take details of my daughter's tenancy and council tax to a jobcentre to prove it was single occupancy.

I was surprised to see that the first payment was then made within a week of the my first phone call to DWP. I haven't received back-date monies yet, but I expect that will take few months?

So (1) it all went smoothly, (2) I didn't need to worry about the decision being delayed and the back-dated payment ending up to be so massive it stopped the claim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, LL26

More
1 year 9 months ago #272456 by BIS
Hi Woody34

Thanks for your update. So pleased to hear that you had a helpful person on the phone and it was sorted with relative ease. Goodness knows how long it will be before the back payment is processed, but I would keep on it, if you don't hear within a couple of weeks.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 9 months ago #272468 by Gary
Hi woody34

It usually takes about 5 weeks to get the backdate payment, that was pre-covid days, I have not seen anything to change the timeline, but members on the forum will be able to put me right.

Gary

More
1 year 9 months ago #272510 by Angel
Phew!! Well done for persevering. I would put the backpay into a savings account for when UC stops all premiums :-(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.