× Members

Impact of back-dated claim for Severe Disability Premium

More
1 year 10 months ago #272133 by Gary
Hi woody34

If you move local authority area and need to claim help towards your rent then you woud have to claim UC.

If you receive a letter from DWP asking you to move over to UC and you ignore the letter then your claim for ESA would stop.

The migration exercise resumed from 9 May 2022 initially in 2 areas, Bolton and Medway. DWP plan to develop their processes gradually and will start by sending up to 250 migration notices in each of the 2 areas. It is expected that the exercise will gradually cover other areas and test processes with greater numbers of claimants before scaling up to the full exercise. www.gov.uk/government/publications/compl...-universal-credit--2

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #272435 by woody34
Thanks everyone for your help. Thought I should give an update.

In the end I made the claim for Severe Disability Premium by phoning DWP - the person helped made it as easy as possible, filling the form in for me over the phone. I then received a message to phone back - when I did, they asked me to take details of my daughter's tenancy and council tax to a jobcentre to prove it was single occupancy.

I was surprised to see that the first payment was then made within a week of the my first phone call to DWP. I haven't received back-date monies yet, but I expect that will take few months?

So (1) it all went smoothly, (2) I didn't need to worry about the decision being delayed and the back-dated payment ending up to be so massive it stopped the claim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, LL26

More
1 year 10 months ago #272456 by BIS
Hi Woody34

Thanks for your update. So pleased to hear that you had a helpful person on the phone and it was sorted with relative ease. Goodness knows how long it will be before the back payment is processed, but I would keep on it, if you don't hear within a couple of weeks.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 10 months ago #272468 by Gary
Hi woody34

It usually takes about 5 weeks to get the backdate payment, that was pre-covid days, I have not seen anything to change the timeline, but members on the forum will be able to put me right.

Gary

More
1 year 10 months ago #272510 by Angel
Phew!! Well done for persevering. I would put the backpay into a savings account for when UC stops all premiums :-(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris