× Members

A Query about supporting evidence

More
1 year 9 months ago #271729 by Waxwing
A Query about supporting evidence was created by Waxwing
Hello

My brother who I am assisting with his PIP application had a recent consultation with his Rheumatology Consultant about his spinal disability and today he recieved a letter about the consultation. It is an informative letter and he feels it would be possibly good supporting evidence for his claim because it is recent and shows he is still under the care of his consultant.

I am a little concerned about using the letter because during his consultation he requested a "suporting letter" from his consultant for his PIP claim. On the letter he recieved today about his consultation it says on the letter "He Requested a letter for PIP"

My question is would the DWP read that and bring into question that validity of his supporting letter and would that raise a "Red Flag" that could jeopardize his claim?

Thank you kindly in advance for your time and support
Waxwing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #271733 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic A Query about supporting evidence
Hi Waxwing,
To be blunt DWP can and do make assumptions about things that they shouldn't and they will add 2 +2 and make five!
However, there are 2 important issues here.
Firstly, presumably your consultant's letter confirms your disability so this will help support your claim, so without this confirmation the claim may be a bit vague.
The comment about requesting a letter for PIP is factual. There was a legal case a while back where either claimant or his representative had written to the doctor saying eg ' Food prep. X has arthritic hands and struggles to peel and chop vegetables. Due to back pain cannot stand at a cooker. Taking nutrition, X has problems with swallowing and therefore has to have food chopped small and needs supervision to avoid choking...' all the relevant descriptors were commented upon in the same manner. The doctor was then asked to confirm the listed disabilities. The doctor wrote back, copying the answers and adding 'yes' alongside the relevant comments. Needless to say DWP argued at tribunal that the letter proved nothing as the doctor had nt contributed anything original to what the claimant had said.
The judge held that whilst this may be so, the doctor was an educated man with a free will, he didn't have to agree with any or all of the comments. He had done, which could be taken to show that he did accept the comments made. Hence legally there should be no reason why your brother's doctor can't write a PIP letter 'as requested.'
As in the case I have cited, he doesn't have to write the letter, nor agree with anything you have said. Moreover there is an argument (which is something to leave until MR or appeal tribunal if later required) if the doctor is aware he is making a report for PIP then presumably he is applying his knowledge of the claimant's condition to see if it matches any or all descriptors. It may therefore be a more pertinent and useful report as a result!
Let DWP read too much into the comment, if they choose to, but don't let that mere possibility affect the quality of the PIP claim by not sending in the report.
I hope thishelps.
Good luck!
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Waxwing

More
1 year 9 months ago #271745 by Waxwing
Replied by Waxwing on topic A Query about supporting evidence
Thank you LL26 for your very informative answer. You have been of great help and assistance and it is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Waxwing
The following user(s) said Thank You: LL26

More
1 year 9 months ago #272125 by Waxwing
I was going to start a new post about this then I realised that it is similar to my origional post so I decided to add my query to this post because the two question would back each other up.

My brother had an appointment to see his Consultant Rheumatologist and explained to her his recent problems with his disability. He explained to her the stress, difficulties and the fact that he had failed to receive a PIP award after trying for 2 years only to be turned down by the tribunal which she was shocked to hear. He asked her if she could agree to give him a supporting letter for his next PIP application and she kindly agreed. Could you offer me some advise on what he should ask her to put into his supporting letter being as she does not see the difficulties he has with his daily activities everyday. The consultant does not see him preparing food or using the toilet. Would it be an idea to offer the Consultant a basic template for a supporting letter so the consultant based on her "opinion" on what activities he would have problems completing "reliably" and then can edit the template to there discretion for the final letter to there preference. He has asked his Consultant for a supporting letter because he has been advised to get upto date medical letters and evidence.

Thank you in advance
Waxwing

More
1 year 9 months ago #272126 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic A Query about supporting evidence
Hi Waxwing

What I generally do for people wanting letters from any medical professionals - is write the letter in its entirety and then hand it to the medical professional asking them if they could write a similar letter based on what is written. I or the patient explains that we know they are very busy and hoped to save them time. What normally happens is the medical professional asks for the letter to be emailed and they just sign it and hand it back! Now you may not feel confident to do that, but your idea of some sort of a template is a good one - but avoid doing what you have already said is getting them to comment on things they can't possibly know. I don't generally mention the specific PIP criteria directly, but I do get them to expand on the medical difficulties, pain, distress, lack of mobility, medication, prognosis, safety and reliability and then when filling in the form I would reference that letter to all appropriate questions.

Eg Miss Brown is unable to prepare herself a meal because of severe arthritis in her fingers. She has poor manual dexterity and cannot grip any object without dropping it and suffers from extreme pain as mentioned by Dr X her GP. (See letter from Dr X 20/04/22 - additional page 1).

I would use the letter and any others I had over and over again - so they cannot forget that there is supporting evidence. Some people just hope the DWP or the assessors will read the evidence and they might, but it doesn't necessarily click why it is appropriate to the PIP criteria. I try to minimise any chance for them to deny a claimant has a problem.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SUE C C, Waxwing

More
1 year 9 months ago #272131 by Waxwing
Thank you BIS your advice has been helpfull and most appreciated. I will pass on your info to my brother.

Kind Regards
Waxwing

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.