× Members

Contribution based ESA and working

More
1 year 9 months ago #271744 by Woosie41
Contribution based ESA and working was created by Woosie41
Hi forum.

I’ve been on contribution based ESA for about 8 years. I’m in the support group.

My main difficulties are with mobility and sometimes issues with my shoulders and wrists. However, I’ve started to become a bit bored and losing brain matter from not working over the years. I’ve come across some work which I could do from home for about 16 hours a week. I have a choice to be self employed or an employee.
I also have PIP and get higher mobility, standard daily living.
Im confused as to how my ESA and PIP may be affected if I start working? Likelihood is I would earn more than £143-£152 weekly so I’m presuming my ESA would stop? However, there isn’t much written regarding Contribution based ESA, it’s mainly income related ESA.
Can someone advise as to what I’m likely to encounter if I started work?
Am I likely to be worse off by working?
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #271763 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Contribution based ESA and working
Hi Woosie41

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum

You need to be aware of the impact of working and we would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

There is something called permitted work; www.gov.uk/government/publications/emplo...itted-work-factsheet

www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules.

Please note that there are no equivalent rules in Universal Credit that allow for 'permitted work'.

The idea of permitted work is that it allows you to test your own capacity for doing some work and perhaps gain new skills. To help make this possible earnings under permitted work are ignored in the benefit calculation, up to a limit of £152 a week (from April 2022).

Permitted work must be fewer than 16 hours per week, unless you are doing supported permitted work when there is no hours limit and only the earnings limit applies.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 9 months ago #271826 by traceytracey
Replied by traceytracey on topic Contribution based ESA and working
Hi, Woosie41,

I too get contribution based esa, support group, and do permitted work. As you have stated, you must work under 16 hours pw and not earn above the threashold. (I believe it is £152pw currently) you mustnt go over this even by 1p. If you do I believe your ESA will stop. Make sure that the job you will be doing doesn,t contradict your PIP claim. There is no earning limit with PIP, only ESA. You need to fill out a PW5 form (I think thats what it is called?) and they will ask for copies of pay slips etc a couple of months down the line.

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
1 year 9 months ago #271857 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Contribution based ESA and working
Hi traceytracey

Before you start any work, whether paid or unpaid, you should fill in a PW1 form and send it to the Jobcentre Plus office that deals with your benefit. www.gov.uk/government/publications/emplo...itted-work-factsheet

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.