× Members

Council Tax Discount and PIP

More
1 year 5 months ago #274712 by Harry
Council Tax Discount and PIP was created by Harry
Firstly, a big thank you to this forum. With the help of this website, the guide and advice from members and moderators, my wife has been awarded PIP at the enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility (on first attempt!).

My wife has only recently been diagnosed with young onset dementia. On the advice of this forum I requested a paper assessment, I asked to act as her appointee and I wrote a letter explaining how her dementia affected her and what help I had to provide. All of this ensured that she got the correct award without the distress of an interview. Thank you again to all who helped.

I am applying for a council tax discount and I would be grateful for any advice please. In addition, are other forms of assistance that my wife might be able to claim now she has a PIP award? Please forgive me if this subject has already been covered.

Harry
The following user(s) said Thank You: SUE C C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #274742 by peter
Replied by peter on topic Council Tax Discount and PIP
Hi Harry,

Council tax reductions for disability are given only if certain criteria are met

For example, there are adaptations related to the disability in the property.

The other reason is that someone in the property has a doctor’s certificate stating they have a severe mental impairment.

You can read the full definitions here

www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people

I hope this helps

Regards
Pete

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 5 months ago #274758 by Harry
Replied by Harry on topic Council Tax Discount and PIP
Thank you.

More
1 year 5 months ago #274821 by SUE C C
Replied by SUE C C on topic Council Tax Discount and PIP
Well done to both you and your wife, on your successful application for PIP. I should think it's a huge relief not to have the assessment hanging over you. Again, very well done.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.