× Members

PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT TRICK QUESTIONS

More
1 year 2 months ago #278151 by Mitch
I had a phone assessment carried out by a young man who apparently was a trained physiotherapist, I was in a lot of pain, I was alone, I was on strong medication as I alway am - he didn't give me chance to answer the questions properly before he jumped to the next and I consider he used a trick question that resulted in me losing the mobility component in the PIP. he asked '' if I could walk in a straight line on a smooth flat surface how long could I walk before I stopped?'' 5 mins 10 mins 15mins 20 mins - I was confused, I wasn't allowed to ask if I could use a trolley to lean on or walk slower for a few second, link arms with someone or use a stick, I didn't know how far five minutes walking would be as I thought they asked for distances in lengths of buses etc. he didn't give me a - not at all, 1 min, 2 min etc..... option, so I assumed it was up to five minutes - but I can't do five minutes, just like that I have to plan things - I go to a supermarket where I can park outside the door, I get a trolley and lean on that and then I do a couple of isles and go to checkout, I go back a couple days later and do a couple more isles - it works for me - I cannot stand in a queue for long as it can cause me to pass out - a condition I understand but he didn't as I wasn't allowed to elaborate. He had no understanding of my conditions in fact never heard of them and clearly not on the list of conditions. He spoke so fast, he didn't give me time to think or hear his question properly, The mobility component was removed as the ''decision maker'' believes because I can walk for five minutes I have no trouble standing - it is all so wrong,
When he had finished he asked if I had any questions - I said ''why haven't you asked me about my back and how the pain and weakness effects me - he said ''he did'' but he didn't!! he was in such a rush - how can I appeal and should I bother if they play tricks like this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #278156 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT TRICK QUESTIONS
Hi Mitch

I'm sorry that you have found yourself in this position. If you haven't already done so, you want to ring the DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report (PA4). This will give you more idea of the reasoning behind the decision. You also want to put in for a Mandatory Reconsideration.

You can read the details about this in the guide to PIP Appeals, including the Mandatory Reconsideration information.
benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

As hard as it is, try not to take it personally. Your assessor is just giving an opinion, and your job is to show that they were 'mistaken' and how you meet the criteria. As tempting as it might be when you see the report, don't waste time insulting the assessor in any way (however much he might deserve it). Use words like 'mistaken' 'misunderstood', and 'missed'. You need to focus on each criteria and how you meet it. If you want to complain about the whole process, don't try and do that within the MR. You can always write a separate complaint.

The distance one is the type of question people often get caught out on. A smooth flat surface - is ridiculous - what is that? You need to say that you have no idea how long you can walk without stopping, and it was, therefore, an unfair question. I don't know any person in their daily life who takes that measurement in normal circumstances. As you can't do five minutes, says so. They will likely argue that if you can walk two aisles of the supermarket and pay for your shopping, you can walk some distance - so you will need to give them clear details of the pain, what impact that pain has and how often you have to stop.

Only you can decide whether to put in for a Mandatory Reconsideration. All I can say is that people who have put in for one and get their award improved will always say it's worth it. Not everyone succeeds, but our guide will help.

Do come back and ask any further questions and we will help if we can.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 2 months ago #278158 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT TRICK QUESTIONS
Hi,
If I may.....
The following is a copy and paste from my application for PIP covering supermarkets:

I rarely go to the supermarket now; I can no longer carry a basket because that affects my posture by having to lean away from the basket to counter-balance. When / if I go to a supermarket I always use a trolley, regardless of the number of items I need to buy. The trolley acts as a support (a supermarket zimmer frame) on which I can use to lean against when I need to stop and alleviate the pain in my back. Because of the need to stop frequently caused by walking generated pain, I now have my shopping delivered (I have a recurring weekly slot on a Friday). I explain that I have a spinal condition in the delivery notes and that help would be appreciated.

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.