× Members

ESA claim stopped.

• LovelyBitOfSquirrel
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 11 minutes ago #283769 by LovelyBitOfSquirrel
ESA claim stopped. was created by LovelyBitOfSquirrel
Hi, I’m really hoping someone can help because I honestly feel like I can’t take any more. I posted recently about ESA suspending our claim and requesting bank statements for a capital review, after we notified them of a cash gift of just over £10k. I sent everything they requested yesterday.

Today we’ve received a letter stating they have looked at our claim again and they cannot pay income-related ESA anymore as we have not paid or been credited with enough National Insurance Contributions. They say they used the tax year of April 2014 to April 2015 to assess the claim.

I don’t understand how it’s possible that no one has noticed this in all that time. My husband and I worked right up until 2014 when I got very sick in my mid 30’s with a progressive illness. We’ve been claiming since summer 2016.

Can anyone help to explain what’s likely to have happened here? I mentioned in my other post but I’ve just lost my dad, my mum is on end of life care and I am honestly so close to just giving up. It feels like they were just looking for a reason to stop my claim, although I appreciate that may not be the case.

Please can anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #283782 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA claim stopped.
Hi LovelyBitOfSquirrel

Sorry to hear of your loss and what you are going through.

I have read your post a few times and I am still a bit puzzled.

Let me go back to basics; IR ESA is not based on contributions, IR ESA is means tested, if your total savings including your inheritance is over £16k, then your claim will cease.

You may have been claiming both IR ESA and CB ESA, if you were then your IR ESA would have been affected but your CB ESA should have stayed in payment.

I would advise you to contact your local Welfare Rights Organisation for advice, gather up any letter you have with regards to your claim which will help in sorting out your situation, the agency will also need to know what savings you have over the period in question; advicelocal.uk

Don't loose heart, it can be sorted but may take a bit of time.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 6 days ago #289340 by Sean G
Replied by Sean G on topic ESA claim stopped.
Hi,

I have had a letter out of the blue saying they can no longer pay me esa , saying the same not enough NI contributions , saying based on years the same as yours , odd thing is been getting esa over 8 years and nothing in the letter to say about another benefit I could go to. Did you sort yours out ?

Thanks
Sean

More
1 month 5 days ago #289355 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA claim stopped.
SG

Welcome to the forum.

You have replied to a topic that is over five months old so I think it is unlikely that you will receive a reply from the original poster.

Something must have changed in regard to your ESA to have prompted the DWP to have stopped your claim, in the OP's case they received a cash gift, you need to tell us what that might be before we can help you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.