× Members

PIP Review Timescales (now becoming backpay issues)

More
2 months 13 hours ago #288348 by Squirelly666
Replied by Squirelly666 on topic PIP Review Timescales
Just another quick update. Had my assessment on 22/2, very pleasant lady who seemed very understanding and sympathetic. Whole process took just under an hour, and within an hour of completion I got a text from DWP telling me they had received the medical report.

I was going to wait a few days, but as they said they already had it, I thought I would ring and ask for a copy. Got through (after being on the phone for longer than the whole assessment took) and they put in the request to send a copy out to me.

Got the report and (bearing in mind I've been through this process a lot of times in the last 15 years) it was the most accurate one I've ever seen. She recorded exactly what I said, took into account everything that affects me, and has put down that I should get enough points to retain my standard daily living, and have my mobility uprated to high. Now I just need to wait on a DM processing it, and hopefully they won't try any shenanigans like ignoring the medical reports findings.

When I rang to ask for a copy of the report they went to great lengths to let me know that it could take 6-8 weeks to make a decision, so still a little while to go yet, but the whole process seems to have gone through a lot quicker than some others on here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 6 hours ago #288378 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Review Timescales
Hi Squirelly666

Thanks for giving us an update. It's always useful for other members to hear about different experiences.

So glad you had a positive experience and it sounds like you have a positive outcome. Most of the time, the decision-maker follows the view of the assessor (Health Professional).

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squirelly666

More
2 months 3 hours ago #288390 by C
Replied by C on topic PIP Review Timescales
I sent my review form back at the beginning of February 2023 and am yet to get a decision/have an assessment. It really is luck of the draw, I think.

More
1 month 3 hours ago #289587 by Squirelly666
Replied by Squirelly666 on topic PIP Review Timescales (now becoming backpay issues)
So, I got my decision, and I've been awarded HR Mobility, and SR Daily living until 21/2/2030, as I hoped. Whole process has taken about 17 weeks.

However, I now have another problem/question. They have backdated the award to when I first contacted them on 29/11/2023. so they said that I have an underpayment of £567 due, however this has been referred to debt management, as I have a long standing tax credits overpayment that I am paying back.

Now I have a long standing arrangement in place to repay this TC overpayment from my Income Related ESA, and have been doing so for several years. They have never asked, or (to my knowledge) even tried to deduct money from my PIP for this overpayment. So, the question is, are they allowed to take all of this backpay to put towards this TC debt? even though I already have a repayment plan in place, and have never paid any of my PIP towards this debt?

I could really do with this money, and it just doesn't feel right that money I've been awarded, because I have a disability, can just be held back, especially when they already know my financial situation, hence the fact that I am in receipt of other income based benefits. It's like they are saying, "we understand your issues got worse in 11/2023 and we made your award from that date, but we don't think they have cost you anything to deal with until today so we're keeping the money"

If they can do this, why couldn't they just have taken the cost of living payments they made last year as, to me, it amounts to the same thing.

And yes, you may have guessed, this has got me a little angry :(

More
1 month 2 hours ago #289588 by Gary
Hi Squirelly666

Yes they can off set a back payment to clear any overpayment.

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk they will be able to explain to you the rules on offset and which benefits an over payment can be deducted from.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #289617 by dawsden
Replied by dawsden on topic PIP Review Timescales
Thank you for your post. I returned a paper review in October 2023. I was getting really worried because my award runs out in May and as yet I've not heard anything apart from the text to say it was received. Its my first time having a mobility car and I had visions of them just taking it off me. Then I keep thinking, has a letter been sent out & I've not received it, what with the horrendous royal mail at the moment. Sleepless nights & constant worry. Which in turn is impacting on my physical & mental health :-(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.