× Members

ESA as a couple, unmarried, seperate bank accounts, money limit?

More
2 months 1 week ago #287883 by JG2
We are classed as a couple by DWP for ESA, but we have always had seperate bank accounts. The ESA payments and Carer's Premium are paid to me into my bank account, and I use it for most of our bills.

My partner has PIP which is paid into his bank account. We have been saving that as much as possible as our home needs double glazing and several other building repairs.

My question is - will DWP consider both our account amounts added together for the £16,000 limit, or will the PIP savings not be counted as income savings?
Or will each individual account be considered alone and accepted as under the £16,000 limit?

I wondered if it made a difference with individual bank accounts and an unmarried couple as our accounts are not linked.

Thank you for any advice available.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287895 by Gordon
JG

As you are classed as a couple then both your assets and savings and your partner's assets and savings count towards, first, the £6000 limit after which deductions for Notional Income are made and the £16,000 limit above which entitlement to Income Related ESA ceases.

As you only mention the £16,000 limit I have to wonder whether you have already exceeded the £6000 one, if this is the case then you must contact the DWP immediately as you will have generated a recoverable overpayment and if you leave it, the issue will just become worse.

You mention you are saving to make repairs to your house, it may be possible to have any overpayment offset against these but you need the assistance of a trained advisor to help you with this. See

advicelocal.uk/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JG2

More
2 months 1 week ago #288050 by JG2
Thanks, I think I'll need to seek advice in case we have a recoverable overpayment.
We don't have any other savings. Your help is much appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.