× Members

WTC transitional protection

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288524 by Kittykatz
WTC transitional protection was created by Kittykatz
Is it possible to move out of my current local authority if needed and still be able to get transitional protection once I move to UC in the next couple of months? I have heard previously I'd lose this if I moved out with my local authority although I'm not sure if that was because I was claiming housing benefit as well and WTC. I currently don't receive HB only WTC and ADP as well as my wage from my work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288538 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic WTC transitional protection
K

Have you been asked to move to UC?

There are two types of migration to UC; a Natural Migration and a Managed one.

If you move to a new Local Authority then you will not be able to make a claim for HB but rather the Housing Element of UC this will force a migration of your WTCs as well. This will be a Natural Migration and so there will be no Transitional Protection.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288555 by Kittykatz
Replied by Kittykatz on topic WTC transitional protection
Hi Gordon,

I have been asked to move to UC. I have received a bit of inheritance (Cancelled HB due to this) and as yet I don't know how much this will be. I can buy a house and houses are much cheaper outside my local authority although I'd like to stay where I am. Sorry for the ramble.

I am not sure once I have been moved to UC through natural migration process I'd lose this if I move to another local authority? I won't be claiming the housing element of UC or HB.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288580 by Gordon
K

I can't see why your UC would be affected by moving from one Local Authority to another if you are not intending to make a new claim for the Housing Element.

However, UC is a means-tested benefit so there will be deductions from your UC if your total savings and assets exceed £6000 and you will lose entitlement if they exceed £16,000. You can re-claim UC once they drop below £16,000 again.

Although a house is an asset its value is disregarded if you live in it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kittykatz

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288648 by Kittykatz
Replied by Kittykatz on topic WTC transitional protection
Will I be able to keep my transitional protection if I move to another local authority area?

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288659 by Gordon
K

I did say that I couldn't see any reason why your UC would be affected.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kittykatz

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.