× Members

Autismn and Telephone Interview

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288703 by blackstone
Autismn and Telephone Interview was created by blackstone
I am reaching out for guidance and support as I face a forthcoming telephone interview for my Universal Credit review.

My main concern is that I will not be able to express my needs as fully in detail as is required, due to my mental health.

I have recently as an adult been newly diagnosed with Level 2 Autism, which significantly impacts my ability to engage in verbal communication. I often struggle to be able to find the right words and can't speak and articulate my thoughts clearly and provide the kind of detailed explanations required for the interview.

I also experience processing delays, requiring additional time to understand questions, especially those that are complex. My literal interpretation of language can lead to misunderstandings, potentially resulting in responses that might seem off-topic.

Additionally, my sensory sensitivities could impact my ability to focus during the call. Anxiety and stress, especially when discussing personal and sensitive topics, could affect my communication clarity and ability to engage.

I also have executive functioning challenges that make organizing my thoughts and recalling specifics difficult, and there are topics I might unconsciously avoid, leading to crucial information being left out.

My autism also makes it difficult for me to adapt to changes in conversation topics and to process information quickly, which are likely scenarios during the interview.

Additionally, I struggle with Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD), which complicates my ability to discuss aspects of my health and daily routines. Such conversations can be highly triggering for me, and I have a real concern that I might unconsciously avoid discussing certain critical topics due to the distress they cause. This avoidance, coupled with my challenges in effectively expressing my needs, raises the concern that I might not fully convey my situation or inadvertently leave out crucial information during the interview.

Moreover, I deal with severe chronic pain that limits my daily activities significantly. I spend most of my time in an overwhelming amount of pain, which might also influence my ability to speak and participate in a telephone interview effectively. I will need my carer with me just to answer the phone.

Given these circumstances, I am apprehensive about the upcoming review. I understand that an assessment of my situation is probably unavoidable although it will be distressing, but the prospect of it feels really terrifying, and I am eager to find ways to navigate this process with as little additional stress as possible.

I feel if this is a test of my ability to express my needs then that is literally something my mental health causes me to struggle to do and I may not be able to adequately answer their questions on which I will then be judged. My anxiety about this is causing me unbearable distress.

Are there any strategies you recommend for communicating my needs and challenges effectively during the interview, or any accommodations that I might request to make this process more manageable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288717 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Autismn and Telephone Interview
Hi Blackstone

Have you considered asking for a paper-based decision? I'm not saying they will allow you to change the type of assessment, but there is nothing to stop you from making the request.

If you have to go through with the telephone interview, only you can say whether you need to take a break during the process. Some assessors are more amenable to this than others, but if you are tired or in pain, you or your carer should say so. I would establish at the beginning how much the assessor will allow your carer to speak on your behalf. Again - some will do this, and others won't.

I would have a bulleted list of the most important things you want to convey to the assessor. It means you can refer to this list throughout and also use it when you are asked if there's anything you would like to say.

Always have plenty of water available to drink. If you experience side effects from any medication you should still take it at the normal time - but inform the assessor if it's having an impact.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288744 by Ms.Basset
Replied by Ms.Basset on topic Autismn and Telephone Interview
hi, ive just had a video assessment this week. i too have autism pain etc.
It is stressful leading up to it knowing whats ahead i agree.
i would try to get this changed if you can as it is i feel hard to express oneself in these situations with a complete stranger.
if not, i did find my last assessment (via telephone) less stressful than the video one.
i hope this helps.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.