× Members

For PIP phone assessment - questions about needing help?

More
1 month 1 week ago #289169 by River
Hello, I have a telephone assessment in a few days time, for my PIP review claim.

According to the B&W guide on making a claim for PIP, you can say you need help with various daily living activities even if you don't actually have help. So on the form I put that I need help with eg cooking, managing medication, dressing and undressing, and explained the ways these things are a struggle. I don't have that help though, so I am wondering what to answer if they ask me why not.

The truth is mainly that I value my privacy and independence so would rather do these things on my own even if it's a struggle. (Also money reasons.) But would this count against me if I said that?

Thanks for any replies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289193 by BIS
Hi Sharonannkrum

I understand your perspective, but I wouldn't put it that way because I think it's too easy for an assessor to interpret that you don't need the help. If you live alone or don't have regular help from relatives or friends, you don't have to say anything more than that - if you are asked about it. If you have a particular medical condition that prevents you or makes it difficult to interact with strangers, then say so. If you get an award, how you use the money is up to you.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 1 week ago #289199 by River
OK, thank you. If asked about why I don't have any help I will just say I live alone. The other bit doesn't apply to me, ie finding it difficult to interact with strangers (apart from being a very private person but that's not related to my condition). So I won't mention anything about that. Thanks again.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.